Train from Poughkeepsie to JFK Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI. Can you tell me the best way for my son to get from Poughkeepsie to JFK airport. He actually is coming from near Kingston at Bard College and needs to get to the airport. It looks like there is a train that goes to Grand Central but then how does he get to the airport (this will be very late at night). TIA
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM

Once he is at Grand Central, he can switch to the subway (E train) which connects to the AirTrain to JFK.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

I live in Philly and the subway is very unsafe at night. How is the subway in NYC
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM

How late at night are you talking? Would he be on the Amtrak train that gets into Penn Station at 9:35?

There is a bus, but it looks like the last departure is at 7:10 p.m. from Penn Station. But, they do have buses until 10 near their Grand Central departure point.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=63

There is a link to the AirTrain from Jamaica Station. At that hour of the night, I believe his best option is to take an Long Island Railroad Train to Jamaica. The subway can take an hour. The LIRR has 10 departures from Penn Station to Jamaica that leave after 9:30. The last train is at 10:52.

http://lirr42.mta.info/sfweb/faces/departSchedules.jspx

For the extra few dollars, I wouldn't take the subway. It is safe. It's just not worth the extra time at that hour.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! I have to run this by him now. THANKS!
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
J62

If traveling from Poughkeepsie he'd be taking MetroNorth RR in to Grand Central. Service is much more frequent than Amtrak and a lot cheaper.

He could pick up Amtrak in Rhinebeck, which is closer to Bard. Amtrak runs to Penn Station, not GC.

Another option is to take the bus from Rhinebeck to NYC, then subway or train from there.

www.coachusa.com stops in Rhinebeck.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:26 PM

My bad about the Metro North, didn't realize the Hudson line went that far north. But, having been caught taking a commuter train home late at night I'm familiar the torture known as The Local.

Might just want to compare not just cost, but travel time between Amtrak and MetroNorth.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM

I am assuming someone is giving him a ride to Poughkeepsie, but still not sure what time he is traveling. Therefore, the really easiest option is the MetroNorth train from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central, then walk across 42nd St to the NY Airport Service bus stop mentioned above located on the east side of Park Ave.

Why?
As mentioned, Amtrak costs more and doesn't run as often as MetroNorth.
Subway connection from Grand Central to the E train is a double connection via the 6 train.
There are only two buses per day from Rhinebeck to NYC--everyone takes the train.

If he choses to come via Amtrak, then he arrives at Penn Station as mentioned, so the LIRR to Jamaica is the best bet. However, LIRR train runs all night to Jamaica. (I suspect Ryan did a search for departures after 9:30pm, not realizing that the system only shows the next 5 trains. There are actually about 4 trains to Jamaica per hour well after midnight.)
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 03:52 AM

The info is right on the Bard College website. There are 2 train lines at Poughkeepsie, amtrak.com and MetroNorth. MetroNorth is cheaper and more frequent but takes longer. Amtrak goes to Penn station while Metro North goes to Grand Central. The college is also near Rhinecliff stop of Metro North.
http://www.bard.edu/admission/visiting/travel.shtml
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 04:45 AM
J62

"The college is also near Rhinecliff stop of Metro North."

I think you mean Rhinecliff (aka Kingston/Rhinebeck) stop of Amtrak. MNRR only goes as far north as Poughkeepsie, not all the way to Rhinebeck.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM

You're right J62.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM

So if he arrives late at Grand Central, there are express buses to JFK up til 10pm from just a few blocks away at Park & 41 st. http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=61

If he's arriving later than that, a taxi will cost $45 plus tip and toll (~$60) for door to door service. There are taxi stands with a taxi dispatcher at the major exits of Grand Central.

Or, as outlined above, he can use the train. There are 2 ways to use the train, one uses the subway and the other uses the LIRR train. I think the hour he's traveling may determine which is better/faster. For exact turn by turn instructions for the train options, use hopstop.com Make sure to unclick "use regional train" so you can see that option as well as the subway. If you're still confused, come back.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. Plans are firmer now: He is planning on the late afternoon train at Poughkeepsie to Grand Central, arriving there about 6/6:30pm. It looks like there are several options to get to jfk (he needs to be there by 7:30). I was wondering if the Super Shuttle runs from GC to JFK? Thanks again!!!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Do not do SuperShuttle!!!! He will be stuck driving around picking up other people.

As suggested earlier, he should take the NY Airport Service bus from Grand Central to JFK.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:20 PM
J62

The 4:40 weekday train out of POK arrives at GC 6:20. The next bus from GC to JFK leaves at 6:40, with a scheduled arrival around 7:55.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/page.php?id=61

If he needs to be at the airport by 7:30 he should plan to take the 3:40 train at the latest.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM

totally agree w/ J62 - the bust s is VERY convenient gut he should take the earlier train at 3:40. Bus is safe, clean and 99.9 % on time

what time does his flight leave? I assume the 7:30 arrival at JFK leaves himp lenty of time to get his flight?
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM

also can I ask..if he's in college why he isn't more familiar w/ how to find info on the internet? esp since the bard college site has a lot of info?
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Good point.He CAN do this and has done it; he also hates when I do this This is a neurotic, worried mom trying to figure out the fastest, safest way to get from the train to the airport. I also like to know for my own benefit as I love to figure out best ways to get to places. I planned our first trip to Europe, travelling with one bag each, via planes,trains and buses. I really do appreciate everyone's assistance; the info was very helpful
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Stop worrying. Three days ago we gave you the same solution we are providing now because it is the best option for his situation. He'll be fine.