JFK to West 35th ave

Search

JFK to West 35th ave

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK to West 35th ave

We fly into JFK at approx 830 on a Thursday. We need transportation to West 35th near Madison Square Gardens. We will not have a lot of luggage. Would like to keep expense down. Any suggestions??
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
dmlove

My suggestion is to type in the words "jfk airtrain" in the search box...you'll get exact directions for how to take the train into manhattan from jfk.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM

dmlove or anyone else - I have a question for you - how long does the train take? I am traveling on Thursday into JFK - we are staying at the Marriott Marquis. I HATE cab rides in NYC.
We were there several weeks ago on business and either I was getting a bug or the driver was REALLY hurky jerky and I thought I was going to..well, you get the picture.

I am thinking the train might be a better option.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:45 PM

JFK AirTrain to Jamaica Train Station.

From there you can take the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station in Manhattan, which is directly under MSG, for about $9-$13, depending on the time of day and whether it is a weekend.

OR From Jamaica take the E subway train to Manhattan to Penn Station/34th St and 8th Avenue, the same place as the LIRR, for a total of $7.

The subway will take longer.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM

dawn,

The LIRR train ride from Jamaica to Penn Station is about 20 minutes, but you might have to wait a little while for a train depending on the time of day. Thne you'd have to take a subway or taxi to the Marquis in times Square.

The E train might take 40-60 minutes. For the Marquis, you could get off at 42nd and 8th Ave and be a walkable distance from the hotel.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Kmadsen - I am sorry for hijacking your thread - I am just really confused -
and I am the one who is afraid of the subway ;-).

How long would it take via train/subway? Wondering if dh will go for this.. anything for me to avoid a cab ride...
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Ellenm - we were posting at the same time! Thank you!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM

kmadsen, I just want you to be aware that where you are going is West 35th *Street* (not Ave). You will need to be clear about this, especially if you area taking a cab, or you will end up in an entirely different part of town!!

FWIW, there are numbered streets, avenues, and other roadways in all five of NYC's boroughs. If you are at JFK, which is in Queens, and say "West 35th Ave" ~ you could end up in another part of Queens (like Flushing) and not Manhattan or Madison Square Garden at all!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM

There is also a private bus service that goes to Penn Station, Grand Central and the Port Authority which is separate from the Super Shuttle.

The last few times I went to JFK, I took the Airtrain and it usually works nicely. Please note that there is always some sort of track work on the weekends and late nights and to check MTA.org. The Airtrain is rarely effected but the train line or the LIRR might be.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM

For dawmmoelm, why not order a car service from dial7.com or carmellimo.com ? They cost about the same (or sometimes less) as a taxi and the cars are usually more comfortable and the drivers a bit better. Your other option is to use the Airport Express bus and go to Port Authority bus terminal. This is ~$14/person and Port Authority is 3 short blocks south and 1 long block west of the Marriott Marquis.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html

Both of you should avoid at all costs anyone who approaches you at JFK and offers transportation and you should also avoid Super Shuttle, a shared van service that's absolutely awful in NYC.

For kmadsen, because of your location destination, the train makes a lot of sense, but are you arriving am or pm? If am, you're in the middle of rush hour and you won't likely get a seat on the train. There are 2 train options and has been discussed. For either option you take the AirTrain from JFK to the Jamaica station. You pay $5 for that ride when you get off the train. You then have a choice of taking the Long Island Railroad which requires no stairs and costs another ~$7/person or the E train subway which does require stairs and costs $2/person. For either, you get off at Penn station which is 34 st. The LIRR train is more comfortable and usually faster.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 04:23 AM

The MTA's website is http://mta.info, not mta.org. It's useful for maps, pricing information, and schedules for LIRR and MetroNorth commuter lines. It also communicates schedule changes due to scheduled track work.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:45 AM

again Kmadsen - sorry for jumping in - Mclaurie - I am going to do just that - order a car service - thank you!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Since you are staying so close to Penn Station, I'd actually urge you quite strongly to reconsider the Airtrain. Coming into the city by car on a weekday morning can be really slow. Granted, you won't pay extra if you have a car service, but why do that when you can come into town for less than 1/3 the price and do it in much less time?

I would never ever take a taxi or car service into the city on a weekday morning unless I had a lot of luggage, kids, or someone who can't manage walking 2 blocks.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Doug, the OP kmadsen is staying near Penn station and I agree AirTrain is best, but dawmnnoelm is at the Marriott Marquis. It was she I was suggesting consider a car service.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Doug and Mclaurie - I am also a bit of a priss. I admit it at least. I did resevere the car already - and was pleased it was 40.00 plus tip and tolls. No problem. I paid 45.00 flat rate a few weeks ago.

I am arriving at 6:50 pm - not am - I actually wanted to do the helicopter but was unable to get the reservation. I figured 10 minutes of being airsick is better then 1 hour of being car sick.

Poor dh married to me!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Sorry ... so many interconnected threads, and I didn't read it carefully enough. But I still think the Airtrain would be best for this itinerary. I'd only switch to a cab from Penn Station for the short ride to the Marriott Marquis, saving both time and money.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

dawnnoelm, I don't mind you riding my thread. I learned a lot reading all the replys. Just one question for the rest of you. When you say "take the train" do you mean train or air train are they interchangeable?
I think I am suppose to take the air train to Jamaica Station and then either the subway or the LIRR (which I think is a train train) to Penn Station. Just clarifying.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM

kmadsen, Since you need to get to Madison Square Garden, the faster but slightly more expensive LIRR train would be perfect for you.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM

But again for clarification's sake: here in NYC, we call everything "the train"! You will often hear people say something like "take the E train to Port Authority"; "take the L-I-R-R from Jamaica"; "take the AirTrain to get to JFK". The distinctions are very slight, and I can understand the confusion!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM

While it's possible to take the E Train to Penn Station from Jamaica, I don't recommend it. Definitely take the Airtrain to Jamaica and then get on any Manhattan-bound LIRR train, getting off at Penn Station. Unless you really have to pinch pennies, the Airtrain-to-subway route is just too slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -