NYC - Penn Station to JFK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading what traffic might be like the week before Christmas, we've opted to try the train to JFK rather than a taxi. I just want to make sure I'm going about this the right way.

We are staying on W. 35th street between 5th & 6th. After picking up our bags, we are going to walk to Penn Station and take the Long Island Railroad train to the Jamaica station, where we will get off and then take the AirTrain to JFK. Does this sound feasible?

Also, regarding AirTrain when we arrive JFK........do we take it from our terminal to a particular stop where we then transfer to another train to Jamaica Station?

On our last trip we flew into LaGuardia and took a cab, so this is new to me.

Thank you!
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Take the E train towards Queens (Jamiaca), which under Penn Station to the Airtrain. Or you can take the Long Island Railroad at Penn Station to Jamaica. It is more money but it is faster and easier.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM

The AirTrain stops at each of the terminals in the airport and then goes on to the Jamaica LIRR station. Once you board the Air Train there you just wait until it gets to your terminal - there are no more switches.

I do NOT reco taking the subway from Penn Station to Jamaica - it will take much longer than the LIRR and will be mobbed most of the time. (The LIRR typically is not that crowded - and you can usually find a seat unless you;re traveling at the height or rush hour. In the subway you'll be packed in like sardines for much of the trip.) And the savings is only about $5 per person.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I think this is a wise choice. This is very easy and probably the fastest way to JFK from your hotel.

Just forget the E train. That's too time-consuming and confusing. When you get off the LIRR at Jamaica, look for the signs to the Airtrain. It's toward the FRONT of the train (in most cases you'll exit the train and turn left). Take the escalator or stairs up, walk into the Aitrain station, deposit your $5 and get on any train going to JFK. They stop at every terminal. The total travel time will be a little over 30 minutes from Penn Station to your terminal in most cases.

The price varies and is a little more during rush hour. You can buy a combo ticket for the Airtrain and LIRR at some of the machines.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM

hi all,

this thread is really making me doubt my plans to take the airtrain to the E train and then to MTE ...
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Got it....I think.

LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica. Take AirTrain at Jamaica station (per Doug's instructions) to my terminal at JFK.

Thanks, everyone!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM

It's super easy. Don't be intimidated!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it is very easy. The Airtrain even has a listing of all of the airlines with their corresponding terminals so it will be easy for you to determine when to get off the train. If you plan to use the airtrain when you arrive in NYC to get to your hotel, the one thing you should watch for is to make sure the airtrain you get on is the one going to Jamaica Station, not Howard Beach.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM

this thread is really making me doubt my plans to take the airtrain to the E train and then to MTE

It's the A train from Airtrain. Another alternative. I take this every time I fly in/out of JFK.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM

No, the A train will take even longer than the E. I'm not in total agreement with the people who have recommended the E train for lilaki (I would simply take the LIRR), but the A train takes much longer to midtown than the E does. No comparison. Plus, you have to switch subways at Times Square to get to the 53rd/Lex stop.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM

To clarify: The AirTrain has two different routes. Both routes stop at the JFK airline terminals, but they connect to different subway lines at the end of their routes.

To reach midtown Manhattan by the fastest route, take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station and connect to the E train.

To reach Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan, take the AirTrain to Howard Beach and connect to the A train.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM

I have to agree about avoiding the subway only because people from out of town who are not familiar may find the LIRR a little more user friendly. AirTrain has easy to read info also as far as which terminal to get off for. There's no connection once you board the AirTrain.