Search

JFK to Albany New York

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK to Albany New York

Hello,

I would be arriving in New York (JFK) and need to travel to Albany New York.
With this, am considering the AMTRAK (train) route instead of driving.

This is my first time in NYC and moving from one place to another will be a challenge.

I read from JFK that going to PEN Station then to Albany is best to go but the details of which train
( i see AirTran, Subway etc) and i get confuse. Can someone suggest step by step /which train etc)

I will be traveling with one hand carry and a 1 piece luggage.

Thanks so much in advance.

solotraveler.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 07:36 PM

Welcome to the forums. You have mistakenly marked this a trip report, which is a report you write AFTER your trip.

It is understandable that you are confused about the subway versus other trains, because there is more than one train you can take to make this connection.

The AirTrain is a train that circles the JFK Airport terminals and connect to parking areas and two different train stations where one can connect to other modes of transport to travel further. In your case, you should travel to Jamiaca Station, where one could take the Long Island Railrod (LIRR) or subway (E train). Since you are headed to Amtrak, I think the LIRR will be easier and quicker for you (and cost only a few dollars more).

From JFK take the AirTrain to Jamaica Train Station. At Jamaica Station, you will pay as you leave the AirTrain. Follow the signs out and to the left and you will be on an open-air upper level bridge that crosses over all the LIRR tracks. On this level you should purchase a ticket to Penn Station from one of the machines.

Check the departures board and listen for announcements, but chances are the next train to Penn Station will depart from track 1 or 2. There are stairs, escalators, and elevators to reach track level, but be ready to deal with stairs. Penn Station will be the final stop on your train.

Penn Station is a confusing place because a number of different train systems (Amtrak, LIRR New Jersey Transit [NJT]) as well as two subway lines stop there. Depending on your arrival track and the stairs or escalator you take from track level, you may emerge on the LIRR (lower) level or the Amtrak/NJT (upper) level. Find your way to Amtrak ticketing and waiting area which is located on the upper level closer to 8th Avenue end of the station.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:17 PM

A few more notes to Ellenem's excellent explanation. You will take Amtrak from Penn Station to Albany. A number of different of Amtrak trains stop there, so check the AMTRAK website.

Also please note, they usually do not post the track number for the trains until about ten minutes before departure. There is a Amtrak seating area, but there is also an Amtrack mulling around area as it not really a waiting area. It is by the 8th Avenue entrance to Penn Station. When they post the track there will be a mad scramble. Also note that some tracks have a east/west designation.

They are building a new Penn Station but that should be ready when you grandchildren need to go Albany.

Now that we clarified that for you, I'm sure you are more confused.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:01 PM

I'm a New Yorker - city resident. I need to ask - why make this person change stations in Jamaica? Why not just take the Air Train from JFK after the Air Train using the A or E stations that go directly from JFK to Penn Station. That's what I do. Why confuse this person with changing in Jamaica when they obviously aren't even American? Is there a need that I don't know about to get off at Jamaica and switch to the LIRR when the subway will also take this person to Penn Station? Please advise...if I'm missing something. Seems like an extra step you don't need to take unless the subway is down.

Both the MTA subway and LIRR take a person to Penn Station. Why confuse it?
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:18 PM

I always take the E but the A will take forever to go to Penn. And from the Airtrain you pass the LIRR first.

LIRR makes less stops. They have to take a second train any way, so what is the difference.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Hello ellenem.Thank you so much for the detail explaination. This will by my frist trip to USA (coming from Asia) and i have to admit the train route etc are really confusing for a first timer like me but your explaination is certainly a big help.

Btw - I browsed for more option, i noticed transport service.

http://www.premierelimo.com/transpor...rport-shuttle/

Is this also a good option? Would you recommend it?
I will reaching JFK 11AM...

Thank you so much again.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Hello IMDonehere, thanks for your additional inputs..All your details am putting in my note /phone to serve my guide and to give me some peace of mind as i start to venture into this journey..

Hello Skiergirl, thanks as well. Yes,am a tourist coming from Asia. Am stress looking around for route but definitely excited as this will be my first time in NYC.

I welcome other suggestion/route.. Thanks again.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 02:25 AM
J62

What is your destination in Albany?
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 04:07 AM

The trip to Alban is a fairly long one.

On Amtrak there is a train leaving Penn station at 1:20 pm which gets to Albany at about 4 pm. I assume that whatever you are going for is happening the next day. (You need to allow at least 1.5 hours from wheel down at JFK to get to Penn Station and it may take longer if you are held up in Immigration and waiting for bags.)

If this is too long and you need to get to Albany for something that afternoon you really don't have many choices. Renting a car is probably the cheapest/easiest - except that you have to drive to NYC. To get a car service will be VERY expensive - and will take about 3 or 4 hours - but does mean you don;t have to waste the time getting into Manhattan to pick up the train. So you might arrive an hour earlier if as much.

The only thing faster is an air taxi from JFK to Albany airport, which has a flight at 1 pm (hopefully you could make this flight but no guarantees) that arrives about 2:15 - but the cost is about $1800.

With more info about when you have to be in Albany and where people might be able to help more.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 04:18 AM
J62

Another option is bus... that's why I ask about the destination in Albany. Some bus co's drop off downtown Albany and others use the Amtrak station. At least one (Megabus) also continues on to the University at Albany campus.

I think planning on catching the 1:20 Amtrak train might be a tight connection. Most days there are also 2:20 and 3:15 trains which would be a safer bet to book in advance.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 04:46 AM

The Megabus is a not a good option. You must find the bus stop somewhere on the street and it is horrible in bad weather. There is a reason why it so cheap.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 05:12 AM

@solotraveler75: Stick to the Airtrain, LIRR, then Amtrak to Albany. That's the fastest option, and it keeps you in the train station for the transfer. The platforms at Jamaica are outdoors, but they are covered. So it will likely be cold and will get much colder as you go north.

The nonrefundable fare to Albany is US$42 for a specific train booked online (it's double if you want a flex ticket that will allow you to take any train), but to get the cheaper fare, you usually have to book in advance. Prices don't vary much on the route from NY Penn to Albany.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 09:01 AM

I'm a New Yorker - city resident. I need to ask - why make this person change stations in Jamaica? Why not just take the Air Train from JFK after the Air Train using the A or E stations that go directly from JFK to Penn Station

Actually, I think you've confused it even more. The OP will have to change from the Air Train to another train that will take him into Manhattan (Penn Station), since the Air Train goes no further. Whether he switches to the subway or the Long Island Railroad is a matter of cost, time, comfort, and schedule. Either one is convenient to the Air Train.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 09:45 AM

The Air Train does NOT go to Penn Station. You must either change to the LIRR in Jamaica - or change to the subway (either Jamaica or Howard Beach - at either end of the Airtrain).

Why haul luggage onto the subway and take a much slower means of transit into Penn Station? Would be different if the OP were going someplace else in Manhattan for which the subway would be most convenient. But the LIRR only takes about 20 minutes to Penn Station versus 40 minutes up to more than an hour for the subway.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Another option is simply taking the Airporter bus from JFK to Penn Station. It is direct and you don't have to worry about schlepping your bags or changing trains, or getting confused, etc.

I think it's about $16 or 18 one way, a little more expensive than the AirTrain, but a lot easier. If you buy a RT ticket, it's a little less. Look for the "Ground Transportation" signs as you leave the terminal at JFK or just ask someone for the Airporter bus to Penn Station. There should be a little desk near the exit.

They run only about every half hour and take about 45 min to an hour to get to the city. I think Penn is the last stop on the bus so give yourself enough time for customs, baggage claim, bus, if you are booking a train to Albany in advance.

I would go for a later train, around 3 p.m or so to play it safe.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 11:15 AM

Just FYI: If you take the bus (and not all of them go to Penn Station, so you might have to change buses at Grand Central), it will take you easily double or triple the amount of time as the train. That's why no one else is recommending this. It's a good option to Grand Central, not so good to Penn Station.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 03:36 PM

I don't really have anything to add as far as logistics are concerned but wanted to add a possibly relevant point. I've taken the train from NYC-Albany many times. In parts, it's a beautiful, memorable ride along the Hudson River, amongst the nicest stretches of rail in the East Coast in my opinion. I enjoy the views each time! I've also been on buses between NY and Albany and it's a pretty forgettable experience (or an experience you wish you'd forget with the traffic).
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:10 PM

To add Daniel's point, try and get a window seat on the left on the way up and vice versa on the return.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

@J62. Thank you. My final destination is Hampton Inn Albany.

@NYTraveller. $1.8K for Air taxi is not option for me. I will be reaching JFK 11am. Work start the following day so i only aim to reach Hampton Inn Albany before midnight safe and sound...

@Dough_Stallings, Thank you. Train option will be challenging for me but am pretty sure this is something worth to experience. With you and the rest of member here keeps pouring tips and guide how to go with it am getting a good feel of this and should able to overcome with a grin smile as i reach my final destination... Thanks again.

Pls. keep it going if there are other things i need to take note of.. Big or small will be a great help.

@sf7307- Thanks for your comment I understand it easier to get in PENN via LIRR based on post here.

@Sarahave123 - I have only seen NYC mostly on movies and me coming from Asia to be able to visit,feel,see and experience is something. So yah, am getting this awesome good feeling. Bucket list Solo NYC trip- Check!

@panecott, thanks. Let me check this option if this will do. thanks again.

@Daniel_Williams- Thanks.This is one of the reason i decided to take this NYC-PENN via train option. To enjoy the views as i travel. I have limited time here in NYC need to seize every moment of it.

Since you mentioned you always take this route NYC- Albany' If you dont mind giving me heads up on my return to New York City from Albany. This time i will be heading to Hilton Garden Inn Times Square to enjoy the rest of the weekend in NYC.

Again, Thanks to all of you who find time to respond to my post. Really appreciated it all. Pls. keep it coming.

solotraveler75.
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

@Imdonehere. Thanks. That tip will surely do. Yey!..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -