Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Time from from Boston airport to Martha's Vineyard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was thinking for a long weekend in late July in Martha's Vineyard. I would be flying into Boston from Charlotte,NC. How long would the bus be to catch the ferry and how often do the ferries run? I don't mind waiting but I don't really want to go somewhere for 3 nights and spend a full 2 days trying to get there and back. If it is not very reasonable I may try to go somewhere else that weekend and wait till I have more time for MV.

Thanks for any advice.
April
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM

AprilA, Why not fly into Providence. Rhode Island? If I remember correctly, it only takes about one and a half hours from there to Woods Hole. You can take a ferry to the Vinyard from Woods Hole.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:52 AM

IIRC, you can fly to MV from either Boston of Providence.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM

hy-linecruises.com - this is passenger ferry from Hyannis to MV - it is possible to fly into Hyannis, but likely pricey. (And also on fake, that is very small, planes)

steamshipauthority.com - this is the regular ferry from Woods Hole to MV.

Both sites give info on cost and schedules.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Fly=$$ but fast
providence-a good idea
bus=plymoth and brocton-fairly frequent from south station, have used a few times and they let me put my bike under bus.

Ferry-you could take a ferry from boston to p-town and take bus from there to chatham and i think there is ferry service there but may be more costly
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM

This question comes up every year around this time and the advice given usually leads to total confusion.

First of all, you could fly into RI but you will not land in Providence but in Warwick (Green airport) about 10 miles northwest of Providence. In July, a trip from Green airport to Woods Hole is a lot longer than 1 1/2 hours.

If you like the idea of landing in RI why not take the Quonset Point(RI) ferry or the New Bedford(MA) Fast Ferry to MV both of which are a lot closer than Woods Hole.

If you land in Boston and take the ferry to Provincetown then you would need to get transportation to either Hyannis/Falmouth/Woods Hole. There is no island ferry to MV from Chatham. There is a ferry from Harwich next town over but that only goes to Nantucket.

There is also another ferry service to MV out of Falmouth called the Island Queen.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

MV - so close but such a pain to get there. If one is driving, by far the easiest way to get to ferry pier, reservations must be made very far in advance for car.

Most of the options listed above will get to there, but most are either very expensive, and/or a big pain, and/or time consuming. The fastest way I can think of would actually be to check car rental rates and leave car in lot at/near pier (there are shuttle buses). I would not want to go for only 3 nights using a combination of public transit options.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM

The Plymouth and Brocton Bus runs every 30 minutes or something like that- I wouldn't hesitate to use them and then take the ferry to MV. I don't think it is too much travel for an extended weekend if you really want to go.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM

update- Bus leaves every hour. Takes two hours.
http://www.p-b.com/LDweekday.htm

Renting a car would be expensive because it would be costly to take it on the ferry-or you would have to pay for parking-also expensive.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:19 AM

Fly to Providence and take Cape Air to MV. Flight is very short - less than 30 minutes