Search

Martha's Vineyard from Boston -Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martha's Vineyard from Boston -Help

Hi,

My in-laws are taking my special needs brother in law (wheelchair) from Boston (Newton, MA) to Martha's Vineyard on a Thursday in late July and returning late afternoon on Friday to Newton. They have car reservation for ferry to and from Woods Hole.

My question is: how is the traffic on Thursday mid-day? construction, etc? Would they be better off going to New Bedford by car service or their own car and having my other brother in law meet them with a rental car at the ferry on the Vineyard? It seems that this could be more comfortable and save them time. Price is not a factor for them, fortunately.

Thanks Fodorites for any advice!!

Bonnie
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:35 AM

New Bedford is a little closer to Boston than Woods Hole but the ferry ride to the Vineyard takes longer. Traffic to Woods Hole shouldn't be too bad on a Thursday midday. There usually are some slow spots on 93 and 3 but nothing too bad, the ride should take less than an hour and a half.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much. So it sounds like if he would prefer to have his car on the vineyard that going on the car ferry might be the better choice with his travel times to and from the island?
Bonnie
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Yes, definitely. I'm sure they'll want their car on the Vineyard.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

If I could ask one more question, I am going to be going separately from Boston (very mobile with a wheelie bag). Should I take the car ferry too from Wood's Hole or should I take the bus to new bedford and take the ferry from there or train to providence and take the ferry from Rhode Island. I guess I could also bus to Hyannis and take the ferry, but this probably makes no sense. Thanks SO much!!
bonnie
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Will you have a car or will you need to take public transportation?

If you have a car, then yes, take the car ferry from Woods Hole. If not, then I'd choose whichever option is the easiest or has the best schedule. I live in Boston and always drive to Woods Hole so I don't have much experience with the train or the bus.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much. i am going by public transit (visiting family on the island who just bought a house and are not familiar with transportation yet), so i will look at the schedules.
Bonnie