Tickets for New York shows---Evita

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Any tips on how to order tickets? There are so many sites to choose from. We will be in NY in July.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your best bet is to buy directly from the source and thus avoid brokerage charges. In this case, it's Ticketmaster. Either call (877-350-2929) or go online (Ticketmaster.com). Either way, you'll be paying the "regular" price, plus a handling fee of $7-7.50 per ticket and possibly an order fee of around $2.50. If you go to a secondary source, you'll pay more.
PS: Currently, there are no discount offers available.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Howard has it right. Predictions are difficult, but somehow I suspect that discounts (30 to 40%) will soon be available for Evita if you care to wait a few weeks before buying.

I'm curious why you picked Evita -- or are you looking at other shows as well?
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Patrick, you could be right. But, for now, it seems that Ricky Martin apparently has a big fan base and is drawing the crowds!
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

You got it-----Ricky Martin!

I'm old enough to have been a fan since "Maria" which we heard for the first time in Venezuela and his time on General Hospital.

The reviews of the show seem to say that he does very well in the part of Che. I've seen Evita before so the only reason for a repaeat is RM.

Thanks for the tip on Ticketmaster. I haven't been to NY for years, so I'll probably be asking more from the Fodorites---I'm a frequent poster on the France and Caribbean forums so I know how much help I can get on Fodors.
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Actually, Ricky Martin got mixed reviews from the critics.
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

oooooh! Sorry to hear that. I'm going with my daughter who has a business conference in NY and she's not a big fan. Maybe we'll choose another show. Any suggestions?

Loved
Les Miz (my favorite)
Evita
Jersey Boys
Lion King(with the kids)

Hated
Cats
Chicago
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM

We say Evita right after it opened and loved it, but we knew we would since we loved the original. We thought Ricky Martin was really good and that Elena Roger was good but not up to the orignal Patti LuPone.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM

Anything Goes is brilliant - witty and great dancing.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM

If you want to see which shows are likely to have discounts watch www.Playbill.com. In the left column under features, click on Broadway Grosses. Shows that have been playing to 50, 60 or 70 percent of capacity for several weeks are the ones that will want to fill more seats and will offer discounts or sell the seats through Tkts. Shows that are over 90 percent like Spiderman, Wicked, Mamma Mia and Evita aren't as desperate to sell additional tickets.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Frank---glad you enjoyed Evita. Les Miz and Evita are my favorites because of the story and not so much fluff.

nytraveler---for some reason Anything Goes seems like too much song and dance for us.

Citylights---thanks for the tips.

I do have to add that as much as I don't like the razzle-dazzle song and dance shows, I LOVED Jersey Boys. Go figure!
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM

I would understand that if you only liked dramady with music - but Jersey Boys (???). I think it was OK - but the "plot" was much made of practically nothing.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but the "plot" was much made of practically nothing.

Which is one reason it is so good.

"Evita" plot:

dirtball second rate actress hooks up with corrupt military officer

dirtball second rate actress becomes first rate glitzed up "woman of the people"

"I had to change" and doing so was so damned hard to do, too

Like most soap operas it was great entertainment
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Hi TPAYT...have you seen Mamma Mia....totally fun! My sister in law loved Wicked, so that might be a good choice. I know it is "Popular"...sorry for the show pun!
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Denisea----so you & I do go places other than Paris. Who would have known?

DD saw Mamma Mia already, and I'm kind of waiting for Wicked to come to our area so I can take the granddaughters.

I guess I'm still leaning toward Evita, but I'll see what DD comes up with. She may get some deal through her conference.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Unless your DD's conference is a very "in" theatre related organization, it is doubtful any of her possible deals for tickets will be any different from the many discounts you can get at Broadway Box.com or Playbill.com.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:36 AM

I have to correct what Citylights said about discount tickets. Some shows, such as the above-mentioned Mamma Mia and Spiderman, do indeed have discount offers. The fact that they show over 90 per cent capacity in the Playbill listing is a reflection of the fact that they are selling lots of discounted tickets. Both shows, and many others well above 70 per cent capacity, have discount offers.
To get an accurate picture of discount offers, check of that category when you go onto the Playbill website or check out broadwaybox.com.
I might add that shows such as Evita also sometimes show up at TKTS at a 40-50% discount rate.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM

I always wonder why visitors to NY limit themselves to the big Broadway musicals - those long running ones that cater to the tourists. There are exciting theater experiences -- off Broadway -- e.g. New York Theater Workshop in the East Village -- they originated Once -- now a big hit on Broadway - and there are great and inexpensive dining options in the East Village. Also: Classic Stage -- top notch theater.
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM

jroth,
I can't answer for others, but we are going to see Nice Work if You Can Get it. Yes, we did do Playbill discount thanks to the help from Doug and Howard on a different thread.

The reality is that NYC is so expensive for a family that our hotel is almost twice the price of a similar quality one in DC. We really wanted to do one Broadway show because it's iconic. Could we have stayed there a full week, we might have gone for two shows, one off-Broadway. (Speaking of which the Harry Potter parody looks really, really funny).
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:50 AM

jroth, no one supports ALL types of theatre more than I do. I frequently go to not only off-Broadway productions but the many rep companies and experimental theatres around the city. But many cities have some good theatre. What no other city in the US has is Broadway! It only makes sense for a "tourist" to want to do a big Broadway musical where they reign supreme. To me it's almost like asking "why do you go to see the Statue of Liberty? There are many much better done sculptures in lots of museums in New York." That really isn't the point. Many people in their travels want foremost to see the "iconic" symbols of the place they visit.