Search

Thrifty Plate Pass Cost in Denver, CO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrifty Plate Pass Cost in Denver, CO

Hello.

Can anyone tell me what it costs to rent the Plate Pass from Thrifty for Denver? I am being told by their customer service they can't give that information out (which seems, in my mind, to violate some sort of federal consumer rule, but I digress). Trying to figure out if I should set up an account with Colorado Express Toll for my Vail ski trip in March or just rent it from Thrifty. Also, if you know how much the "all-inclusive" rate is, that would be helpful. Not sure there's a difference between that and/or the "plate pass" option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 01:36 PM

I "think"you pay a flat fee and it doesn't matter how many tolls you go through. It is the same price if you go through 3 or 1 or none.

If you set up an account with CO Express toll, you will only pay for what you actually use. There may be set up fees, minimum deposit {$35}and you may not be able to get a cash refund for unused $.

Google is your friend -

https://platepass.com/thrifty/

https://www.expresstoll.com/Pages/Ho...oesItWork.aspx

And this might be of interest -
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/how-...r-rental-cars/
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 03:04 AM

Don't go on the toll road from the airport? ;o)
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 12:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The route to take to avoid the tolls + fees:
Pena Blvd out of the airport all the way to I-25 to I-70 and I-225.
They seem to be building a light rail system into the city. Maybe they are trying to pay for it with tolls on the new E-road.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 04:18 PM

Maybe folks aren't aware that you do NOT have to take the toll road to get to the mountains. I said it. Tom said it.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 05:46 PM

The only toll road you could encounter going to Vail would be the express lanes between Georgetown and Idaho Spring and that requires a special toll pass. So just don't use that lane.

Second you could not get a plate pass since it is specific to a vehicle and you would not know the vehicle or plate number until you picked up the car. And it is pernamently attached to the vehicle. Removing it destroys it.

Tom, doesn't make any sense. I-25 is no where near the airport. You take the airport exit (Pena Blvd) from the airport to I-70 west and get off at the Vail exit in about 125 miles.

There is no toll road from the airport. Pena Blvd does cross E-470, That is a toll road but you have no use for that road. And you really don't need a plate pass for any of the Denver area.

Again for Tom. The toll road (private company) and light rail are not related in anyway. The light rail between airport and city center will open in April.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions to not use the express lanes. But, quite respectfully, that wasn't my question. ;-)

My question was...does anyone know how much it costs to get the plate pass from Thrifty at the Denver airport location. I anticipate using the express lanes.

Debit, thanks for your tips to Google. I did that before posting my question...funny/odd that NO PARTICULARIZED pricing information is to be found anywhere on the internet.

So, again, if anyone has actual pricing information, I'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 01:31 PM

I don't understand, it says right on Thrify's website when you try to rent a car at DEN that the plate plass costs $12.49 a day. it's in the list of options after you select a car and then hit "pay later" (same place as if you'd select GPS, infant seat, etc.). Did you actually try to book a car and get a quote on the website? It appears early in the process with the options. It kind of has to as you add it to get your total estimate. It is an odd website in that it doesn't appear if you select that you'll prepay (in fact, no options do, very weird, I guess you are just prepaying the base rate).

Maybe the person you asked didn't understand and thought you were asking about what the toll charge would be and they wouldn't know where you'd drive. Or if you called national customer service, they often don't know about local things, you'd have to call the DEN office.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 02:20 PM

What are the dates of your trip? That express lane in the mountains is only open on weekends and holidays so if you're arriving on say, Wednesday, it won't even be open so there's no need to add on a toll pass.

Also, you might not be finding solid information on how much the tolls might be because they are variable depending on how heavy the traffic is.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM

You can be a little hostile with your response but we didn't answer your specific question because you are asking a question that showed you don' t understand the situation. I will be more blunt.

1. As stated earlier the plate pass and the express line tolls are to different operations, company, animal, etc. A PLATE PASS DOES NOT COVER EXPRESS LANES !

2. Going to and from Vail you will not travel on any roads that would accept the plate pass.

3. YOU HAVE NO NEED FOR A PLATE PASS.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 06:27 PM

If you still don't believe fmpden, go to www.platepass.com and you will see that the pass covers E470, Northwest Parkway and I-25. If traveling from DIA to Vail you will not use any of these.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

FMP, you are so right...No comprendo. But you mentioned that there are express lanes on I-70 for a short stretch in between Denver and Vail. Since I'm impatient, I could see myself wanting to use those lanes, so I was trying to figure out my options. (And there's no need to yell...geez).

Christina, thanks for the information. You answered my question about the price of the plate pass, and yes, I had to call the Denver rental desk to get the information (they didn't answer over the weekend, but just before I looked back on here this morning, they did and gave me the price of $12.49 per day). I don't recall seeing it as an option when I reserved the car, but maybe it was there and I just blew right past it?

So, the question now is...should I set up an express toll account? It seems the answer is no because it would not be worth it for the small stretch between Empire and Idaho Springs. And, because plate pass wouldn't work on the express lanes anyway (thanks History), and I won't be travelling on any of those other roads (E470, Northwest Parkway, I-25), doesn't make sense to get the plate pass either.

Thanks everyone.