Crested Butte to Dever airport

Aug 7th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Crested Butte to Dever airport

We will be driving on the last day of our holiday from Crested Butte to Denver airport to catch our fight home.

We will have all day as it is a late flight. Mapquest suggests getting over the 285N and that it will take about 4.5 hours. Does that seem to be the most sensible route and is the driving time about right?

We had thought about going over Kebler Pass to pick up the I70 - I suspect that would take up too much time but would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

And of course that should read DENVER airport.......
Aug 7th, 2008, 06:18 AM

We took the 285 N route. Haven't been over Kebler Pass, but as I recall that's not a paved road. If that's still the case, I wouldn't go that route especially in a rent car (contract often prohibits non-paved roads). I'd also consider 50/115 over to Colo Springs - you'd avoid a lot of Denver traffic that way.
Aug 7th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Yes, Kebler Pass is an unpaved gravel road, so it would be slow driving, not to mention a potential problem in a rental car.

Hwy 285 is a good route, pretty scenic, taking you through the famous "South Park" area if that interests you at all (not that there's much to see!) 4.5 hours from CB to DIA sounds about right.

When you come down out of the mountains into the Denver suburbs, your best bet is to go west (left) onto C470 to get to I-70 east for a straight shot to the airport. There may be some traffic depending on the time and day of the week you're traveling, but unless there's an unexpected jam, you should be able to get through town relatively easily.
Aug 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Kebler is indeed unpaved but rated for 2-wd, a well-maintained road and probably not a problem with rental car companies.

However, having driven both routes several times, I think the 285N route is more scenic and quicker, and that's the one I'd prefer. Kebler Pass (and McClure Pass, the next one you cross getting to I-70 but on paved road) is really cool in late September when the aspens are in full color, but not worth the extra detour this time of year, I think.

Bill
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Unless I missed it, the day of the week is very important. Any thing after noon on Sunday will increase travel by several hours.
Aug 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Another NO for Kebler Pass - that's only for puttering around lookin at stuff.