Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

must do activities for families in Kennebunkport and Portland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling in July with my husband and 4 young adult/teen kids to Kennebunkport and Portland from a visit to Boston. We have 2 full days so I thought I'd spend one in Kennebunkport maybe at the beach and maybe some type of boat excursion, then the next in Portland..my 24 year old really wants to visit allagash brewery with his dad so they will do that while in Portland. Any recommendations? Our first time in Maine, staying at a bed and breakfast in kennebunkport, my husband's first taste of new England!
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ogunquit and the Marginal Way on the way up from Boston. Oops, wait, you said busy, trafficky July...you'll probably want to skip Ogunquit since you don't have much time.
Yes Goose Rocks Beach in Kennebunkport and a harbor cruise...take route 9 up through Cape Porpoise and Biddeford Pool/Saco to get to Portland if you have an extra 20 mins to spare (instead of the freeway).
While in Portland take the 20 mins drive out to Cape Elizabeth/Two Lights Park.
Old Jan 17th, 2016, 03:09 PM

Be prepared for lots of traffic, both getting to and getting around Kennebunkport. Bumper to bumper, a few miles per hour, in many places on route 1 and then going into Kennebunkport.
Most tourists drive along the coast to see the Bush compound.

You can stop in Newburyport (architecture and Plum Island), Portsmouth ( boat rides, shops, restaurants, Strawberry Bank), Nubble Light in York, Ogunquit (Marginal away, floating the river if tide is going out), and Laudholm Farm (a quiet seaside dairy farm with walks through fields, forest to beach) in Wells, on the way up to K'port.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 01:38 AM

MDI ice cream in Portland ME, go at a slow time so you can ask for a couple of tastes before choosing the flavors for your ice cream sampler.

Mailboat cruise of Casco Bay might be a little long and boring. Depends on how much you enjoy being out on the water. It's a working/commuter boat but there's some narration. A friend vacation on Peak's Island and says we should spend the day there but we haven't. Would definitely be quieter than Kennebunkport.

Fort Williams park in south Portland. Either bring a picnic or buy a lobster roll from Bite Into Me food truck that parks there. There's a light house, too. Hint: we carry bag chairs in the car so we can choose a best spot to picnic while looking out on Casco Bay watching boat traffic. There is a path along the cliff and some benches.
Old Jan 18th, 2016, 07:35 AM

Agree on suggestions of places to see...might underscore Strawberry Banke at Portsmouth where you can wander around the recreated pioneer village. Patience is indeed needed for the traffic. Plum Island a must for birders or just hiking. Yes to Nubble Lighthouse and nearby Browns Icecream.

One time we did rent a place in Oqunquit for a week and went to the beach. Oh yes, not mentioned is the Ogonquit Art Museum very close to where we stayed, nice little display. Well, also the Portland Art Museum or Children's Museum. I really loved little Marcys Diner there on Oak St...the butterscotch pie. Our family enjoyed lunch at the harbor Clam Shack (Kennebunkport) and dinner at Cape Neddick Lobster Pound.