Those Aero-Beds ... whaddya thunk?

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM
bonniebroad

Those Aero-Beds ... whaddya thunk?

Have you slept on one, and what did you think? My husband, who's slept on one several times while visiting relatives, says he'd give them about a *7* compared to his own bed being a *10*. If you were choosing between two B&Bs, and needed an extra bed in the room for a third adult, would you choose the superb B&B with the aero-bed available, or the very, very nice but less-raved-about B&B with a twin bed in the room? (With rooms going for almost $400/night in both places, I'm trying to be frugal here ... extremely difficult in Nantucket! )

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM

A B+B that offers an Aero-Bed..you have got to be kidding. As good as they might be that sounds like a threadbare operation at best. Just my opinion, however, but it somehow seems kinda cheesey.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM
bonniebroad

Intrepid1, I was sort of surprised when this place offered .... but then, when researching, found that several of the really top-notch B&Bs offer this option now. When you think about it, the aero-bed doesn't take up space in the room during the day, and if it's as comfy as some say, I guess it's not a bad idea. Just seems odd when you first think about it ... Somehow it doesn't seem right to spend that much money, then sleep on an aero-bed, I guess!

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM

>>.. Somehow it doesn't seem right to spend that much money, then sleep on an aero-bed, I guess! <<

Well, I'd agree with that on general principle!

But one of the reasons we quit staying in B&B's was the unpredictability of the beds. And for that reason, I'd go with the aero-bed. We have one and it's quite comfortable for a few nights. At a minimum you can adjust the inflation to make it more or less firm.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Bonnie,
There are several versions of aero bed...and I think that will make a difference. We bought a "double"one that has a "box spring and a mattress" called a Raised Premier in Queen size. My 20 year old son who is 6'3" and 225 lbs. slept in it and said it was comfortable.

So I guess size matters <grin> in this case. Ask them exactly what style it is and then check it out at www.lnt.com (linens and things...they sell them) and see what it looks like.

And remember...a regular twin bed doesn't guarantee comfort either.
Debi
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM

I have slept on B+B beds that were far less comfortable than an AeroBed, which I would give a "5" for comfort compared to my regular bed.

OBx girl makes a good point about adjusting the firmness.

I find it strangely amusing that an AeroBed is an option for when you need another bed....what's next, when you need another room you pitch a tent on the inn's lawn?
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM

"what's next, when you need another room you pitch a tent on the inn's lawn?"

That's what we do at my dad's cabin when we need more room
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM

We have a low-rent air mattress -- the kind you have to blow up with a foot pedal. It provides the inflator with a one of a kind work-out--warning: may produce freakishly large calves. It is more comfortable than some hotel beds we have slept in. I would definitely try the Aero-bed--a friend of ours has one and she reports that guests like it.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I think that's a lot of money to sleep on an air mattress!
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM

You all realize that it's only the 3rd adult sleeping on the aero bed, right? The others sleep on a regular bed.

I'd go with the aero too, especially if you are sleeping alone. It's not all that bad. I've done it for a couple of weeks at a time...rolling it up each morning and blowing it back up each night, so as to keep the LR neat and I liked the "firmness adjustment", LOL...put a little air in, take a little air out, put a little more in and shake it all about.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Aerobeds are great for kids sleepovers. Would never put anadult on one except in a real emergency - blizard or hurricane.

I slept on one in my b/sils house during the blackout (they still had AC) and I would give it a 2 or 3 vs a real bed. It really was only a teeny bit more comfy than the floor.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Take the twin bed!!!

Really, take the twin bed!!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:52 PM

The trick with Aerobeds is getting settled, then not moving. If you move, you start the thing squeezing flat in some areas and pumping up in others. Getting on and off is a particular problem. If you're an "active" sleeper, tossing and turning all night, you'll not enjoy it much. If you're pretty quiet, it's not a big deal once you've got on. If you're a couple, forget it; two on an Aerobed, no matter how big it is, is asking for trouble. One of you is going to roll off unless you are identical weights, to the quarter-ounce!
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
trippinkpj

If it's not too cold then they are all right. They feel a little cold, so we got a feather bed to put on our's for our guests. I would still take the twin bed place.