Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sorry, Could you comment on 2 more studios in Marais?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to be OCD about this but a couple of more studios popped up:

I was originally considering this place for 60E/night -- peripherally located but most of you said it was sufficient. http://www.vrbo.com/68928

Now there's this one, "Rendezvous" from Parishideaways for only 57 E/night:

1. http://tinyurl.com/nnaep

Also the "Esmerelda" is available for 67 E/night -- I think fodorites like this place in the Latin Quarter despite the many stairs.

2. http://tinyurl.com/mpbqb

Can you comment on location, please? The prices are all very similar -- which one would you choose? I don't mind noise.
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

This is the second studio in Marais --it's totally beautiful, but 95 E/night. Hardly expensive but still 50% more than my other options. I think this will be a fodors favorite if it isn't already.

http://www.vrbo.com/34170

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I'm surprised you think the first one is peripherally located, as it's very near Ile St Louis and couldn't be much more central IMO. I would never book the Esmeralda because it looks kind of depressing to me (all that cheap furniture) and is a fifth floor walkup. I don't care for that location myself, either, although a lot of folks do. I just don't like the Latin Qtr right near the Seine very well for various reasons.

The other two both look okay to me, and have different disadvantages. One of them doesn't have a real bed, only a sofa bed, and I would therefore not choose it. Regular beds can not be very good quality or comfortable, either (if cheap mattress and/or no box springs), but I think the odds of an uncomfortable sofa bed are higher than regular bed. So, I guess I'd pick the Rendezvous one for that reason, although if you don't care about that at all, it may be a toss up. I think both lcations are fine. The one on rue du Petit-Musc is more like an apt, and the other more like just a hotel room (no real chair I can see) due to the bed, but it may not matter that much, anyway, as they are both tiny and more space than a hotel room would give you. I don't think they list size on all of them, nor show appropriate photos (bathroom photos aren't on most of them, are they?).

If you don't care about the sofabed, I'd probably take that one as it does have a chair and would have a sofa when it's not a bed, and I think it looks okay otherwise. The Rendezvous one does look pretty nice though (nice table, etc.) and is on a courtyard, so I'd find that appealing. Actually, I think they both look better than the one you think is gorgeous, but that's just me.

The second post isn't something I even find that attractive. I don't like it that well and wouldn't pay more for it, that's for sure. It's on the ground floor, for one thing, which I wouldn't rent, and it looks like cheap furniture (eg, the table and chairs look plastic, but might be cheap metal -- not comfortable). No decent lamp is visible in the entire apt (one teensy one next to the bed).
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Christina,

thanks so much -- this is really helpful. The more opinionated and less censored the comments, the better.

I'm leaning towards the cheapest studio on 22 Rue Du Petit Musc, based on your comments and prior ones from Seamus, Patrick London, Ansel, etc.

The mattress on the sofabed at Petit Musc looks decent (she sent me a picture of the mattress). I'm likely to just leave it out as a bed all the time unless the room is too small. I love how sunny Esmerelda looks but I stop into my apt/hotel frequently throughout the day so I'd be going up and down those stairs at least 3-4 times a day.

The "Jewel of the Marais" one looks the most updated with the most comfortable bed and looks more centrally located than one on 22 Petit Musc but may not be worth the additional expense. Thanks again!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I saw the Jewel of the Marais awhile back on VRBO. Since it is on the ground ground floor, take a good look at the pictures - do you see any windows????

This is a BIG thing for me, as we were stuck in windowless, hovel for a month last year.

I passed on the Jewel because I like separate rooms and more space. The rent and the area are great - if they have windows.

As for the 'cheap furniture', I'd rather have new/newish cheap furniture, than old tired stuff that may or may not have cost more, years ago.

My new motto is -- always count the windows

Judging by the telephone number, the owner lives in my neighborhood or very close by.

Go with your gut choice - you seem to be leaning towards Petit Musc - don't wait too long, good places book fast.

Being OCD isn't bad, DH wouldn't agree with that statement - but eventually you have to take the plunge, right or wrong. I'm a waffler, BIG TIME, so I know of what I speak. Sometimes I make the right call and sometimes I don't. Of course once you commit, $$$ wise, then if you are like me, you will stare at the pictures constantly and worry if you made the right choice. Without a personal recommendation, you will never know until you walk in the front door.

Go for it, and then start planning where you will eat and what you will see.

Don't forget to post a Trip Report - we are not all a part of this.

Let us know what you decide.

Nina
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM

By the way, the Esmeralda is FUNKY. I've never stayed there, but did peek in over 20 years ago. Steep staircase. The neighborhood is good, easy access to both the right and left banks, sights, cheaper food etc... but I don't think that I would want to stay in the hotel.

STOP looking for more places - you are only confusing yourself. You already have too many choices. Do as I say and not as I do

Nina
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Can't comment on the apartments other than to say I don't think rue Petit Musc is a peripheral location.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Nina,

thanks for the big push! I know exactly what you mean about the windows thing. I stayed in the Rue du Princess studio in St Germain Des Pres and it was an absolutley fabulous location for really cheap but there was a little window that faced a small narrow lightwell/shaft and the place got virtually no natural light. I mean it was so dark that I kept oversleeping which is easy to do with jet lag but this was place was DARK...

You know, the place I'm considering on Rue du Petit Musc looks like it could be similarly dark with that one little window but I'm willing to deal with it for the price and new location to explore...

The jewel of Marais place on VRBO -- isn't that a HUGE window near the bed in the picture with light streaming through it?? Or am I not looking at right?

Anyway, O.K -- I'll TRY to commit to something. And I will certainly report when I get back in Dec -- i love sharing info on accomodations.

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

leely,

thanks very much for the input. location is really important to me when I'm traveling alone.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM

fishee - you may be right about the window next to the bed in the Jewel. It does look like a sheer curtain. If it is on the ground floor, I wonder what it looks out to and who can look into the room.

Whenever I have to make a decision as to where we stay, I agonize over it and insist that DH make the final decision. Much to his chagrim, even after I promise to go along with his decision, I either go just the opposite of what he says, or I start looking all over again.

I do the research, take care of the all of the reservations, and he packs, schleps, leads me by the hand as I have absolutely no sense of direction. Together we make a traffic travel team, even if I do drive him absolutely crazy for months and months before we actually get on the plane.

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to tell you.

Nina
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM

ooooops, that a teriffic travel team - not traffic.

Nina
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Nina,

What you describe about a trip (pretending to give him the power to make a final decision, which you reject, and then start the process all over again) is standard procedure for how we (meaning I) figure out where to just eat for dinner every night -- and not even when traveling.

Sure we're a pain to deal with beforehand, but when it's all said and done, everyone I've traveled with says it's one of the best vacations they've ever had (and usually one of the cheapest). It's all about the planning...
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:45 AM

I hear ya fishee ..

A long time ago I traveled with TCFH for five weeks of a planned six week trip to France. I saved for quite a while for that trip and spent gobs of time researching - that was a few years before I went online.

She was a horrible negative person who made me do all of the planning and then complained about every meal, every hotel, etc... Finally after five really bad weeks together, we split up

When I got home, a mutual acquaintance called to say that it must have been a fabulous trip, because SHE was telling people that it was a 'good' trip. We laughed because we knew that was high praise from this TCFH, and the other woman said that it must have been her trip of a lifetime!

Dinner decision ... I did that last night - do I have to do it again?

By the way, I don't pretend to give DH the power to make the final decision. At that precise moment I really really believe
that I can dump it on him. That lasts for about as long as it takes him to give me his answer.

Nina