Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I really wear a money belt in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Rome & Amalfi Coast on Thursday. I bought a "travel shoulderbag" by Baggallini supposedly designed by airline stewardesses. I was going to wear it across my body, but then I've been reading all these messages and am confused! Should I get a money belt to keep my passport, credit cards, and most cash in and then keep very little in my pocketbook? and does everyone prefer the money belts or the ones you wear around your neck? and what about protecting my brand new digital camera from pickpockets! How do I conceal it so that I can still use it? thanks so much!! so much to think about!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:47 AM

This is totally up to you. I just carry my usual purses, which happen to be shoulder bags that I wear across my body every day. My wallet and other important items are in the purses in a velcroed or zipped pocket--very difficult for a pickpocket to access. However, I live in NYC and am used to being careful and aware of my surroundings. Even at home, whenever I am in a crowded area, I automatically rest a casual hand along the top of my purse.

As for my small digital camera, I keep that inside the purse in the main section, safe enough since I keep a close enough watch on my purse. If a pickpocket did manage to steal it, I'd be out a few hundred dollars and the photos--much less troublesome than losing a passport or ATM card or credit cards.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Oh why not wear a moneybelt? You put your cash/other valuables in, zip it up and forget about it. Just carry some cash - about €20 - in your pocket for busfares, coffees etc. For peace of mind, isn't it easier? Sure it's a bit awkward to access your valuables when you need them, but isn't it less awkward than queueing in your embassy to have your passport replaced?

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I have never used a moneybelt. I prefer to have a bag that I can wear across my body. Just be sensible and aware of your surroundings, and make sure your bag closes well, with preferably separate inside pockets that you can close too.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I had a Baggallini in Italy, too. I wore a money belt in certain situations - on travel days when we would be at airports and train stations, on buses, at crowded tourist spots like the Colliseum, etc. Wouldn't bother in most parts of the Amalfi Coast. Naples, definitely wear one. The camera should be fine in your bag.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:16 AM

I've been to Italy many times and never worn a money belt, and I doubt whether many Italians wear them. When in Rome, do as the Romans do!
It may depend on whether you are used to big cities, and whether you avoid looking like a rich tourist.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Absolutely not. Use a bag that drapes across your shoulder.

I want to advise everyone of what I read in La Repubblica-the Rome daily newspaper- this morning. A 20 year old American girl was the victim of a violent sexual attack last night in the area of Piazza Navona-she had just met a 30 year old Italian man-the perpetrator- at a disco "piu trendy" nearby. This follows LESS THAN 24 HOURS after ANOTHER attack on ANOTHER 20 year old American student in the area of Trigolese-and that was with a knife. There was another attack against an Italian woman in the area of the Gianicolo as well-but that was an ex-fiancee.

Simply because you're in the middle of the touristy historical center does NOT mean that bad things can't happen, and we're not talking pickpockets here- something not good also happened to me in the area of the Gianicolo last year, so I feel more cautious about that area now- but this year, I stayed around Via Labicana, on the side of Santa Maria Maggiore, (my room looked out on to the top of the basilica) and LOVED IT-SMM-with its beautiful frescos on the outside of the basilica lit up at night, was just stunning-the area, filled with great little local restaurants, close to everything-Via Cavour, and Termini-close but not too close-could NOT have been more tranquil and atmospheric, particularly at night-I walked everywhere around there, had no problems, saw no problems.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Have been to europe almost 70 times (between business and vacation) and have never used anythng except my regular purse (business) or a Sportsac bandolier style (on vacation). Have never had any sort of problem.

My belief is that as long as you are sensible, alert, aware of your surroundings - and don;t mark yourself out as a confused and vulnerable tourist - you should be fine without any strange garments or pouches or packs.

Caveat: I'm a native New Yorker and this has been natural to me since I was about 12. And I never cease to be amazed by the silly/careless things people do - and then complain about thieves.

It is possible for anyone to be the target of a pickpocket - but extremely unlikely you will be - or they will be successful - if you follow the instructions above.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate to say don't bother, and then have something happen. So will simply say... when *I* travel to Europe I use a normal handbag, leather, that has a strap long enough to go across my torso.

Maybe you want to use the money belt on the days you are traveling by train or will be in particularly crowded or touristy situations?

Obviously you have to take your camera out to use it. Just tuck it back into your pocketbook when you're done. Hopefully it fits in there?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:09 AM

I don't mean to be unpleasant BaltoGirl, but IMHO no one can answer those questions for you. It's something you have to decide for yourself.

When we began traveling a lot, we bought money belts, waist, neck, even shoulder type and have never used any of them. My husband has his wallet and I have my bag (very big with room to carry lots of things) with shoulder straps over one shoulder.

We've traveled quite a bit to various parts of the world and we're always cautious. So far we've had no problems (a couple close calls), but that is not to say we won't sometime in the future.

As you can see, some posters swear by their money belts and others never use them. I hope these responses have helped you, but as I said I think you have to make up your own mind how you will be most comfortable.

Incidentally, I love Baggallini products. Brought my bag that is small and expands to a large tote bag home recently full of "goodies" purchased during our visits to Savannah and St. Augustine.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM

"It may depend on whether you are used to big cities, and whether you avoid looking like a rich tourist."

Whatever a "rich tourist" actually looks like...but I agree the locals probably don't wear them because they don't look like tourists at all!

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Another point about locals and how they store their valuables - they are in their home country/home city, so if they are pickpocketted, although it would be a bit of a hassle to replace things, it isn't a huge deal. When you are away from home, having to replace a passport, credit card, and so on can really eat into your vacation time.

I'd probably err on the side of caution.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:20 AM

"I doubt whether many Italians wear them. When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

I doubt the Romans use moneybelts either but they are on their home turf, and don't look like awestruck, distracted tourists. And probably don't hang out at the Coliseum or at St Peter's Basilica. However, maybe they use them when they visit NYC or Detroit or Chicago.

I use a waist moneybelt, put it on in the morning and forget about it. I carry some cash in my purse, worn bandelier style, and then don't worry whether I look like a target. If someone gets into my purse they won't get much.

I think you should read some other posts about this and about the ways that pickpockets operate before you make your decision. Whatever you decide, don't put everything in one place, such as your ATM card, credit card and all your cash in a wallet. There have been posts here from people who lost everything to one pickpocket --one occurred in Notre Dame so you have to be alert everywhere.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM

So have you been reading the thread (Just a reminder...) about women injured when their bag (cross-the-body or shoulder) has been snatched?

I'm sure it's possible to travel many times to Italy and never be pickpocketed, but it does happen. Just because it isn't in one person's experience doesn't prove a thing. As a tourist, you are lost, confused, jet-lagged, surrounded by a foreign language and a foreign culture. It's not the same as at home. (Thank goodness!)

I myself have seen a shoulder bag stolen by a passing Vespa rider. And I was warned by a passerby -- in Italian -- to keep my bag on the non-streetside of my body.

So get a around-the-waist money bag, a silk one, use it, and don't worry.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:33 AM

i don't get the whole money belt thing. to me, it's akin to feeling the need to wear a "safari" outfit when traveling to Africa.
do you wear a money belt when you visit New York?
i also don't get the need to go out and spend good money on supposed "travel" clothes. wear what's in your closet.
but that's just me,
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If I was Australian backpacking the U.S. for 6 months (for example) and stopped in NYC, yes I would likely suggest a money belt is in order.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have lived and worked in london for 15 years, but decided to use a money-belt work around my waist for our trip to Rome last year. I must say I felt a lot more secure than I would have done with a handbag [purse to you]. I'll be using it again in Florence. apart from anything else, it meant I wasn't used as the family packhorse.
Good luck!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Is it necessary? Almost certainly not, I think.

But I still wear amoney belt wherever I travel - yes, even New York. The reason is because it gives me peace of mind. I know that I won't leave my bag somewhere while distracted, I won't lose my hold on my purse while leaning over a bridge, it can't be casually stolen, and I'm unlikely to inadvertently pull out and lose my passport (or whatever) while I'm accessing something else.

For me, wearing the money belt is less about fear of pickpockets than about freeing me to think about other things, like enjoying my vacation.