Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap Paris apt family of 4 - help me shorten my list!

Apr 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

My original budget for the week in Paris accomodation portion of our June 2008 trip was 1200E for our family of 4 including 2 boys 7 and 10. I have a good shortlist, but I then started thinking that, while for the last week of our trip in the south, I am looking for a place to 'stay' for a week, for Paris, I'm really only looking for a place to sleep So I started looking at 'cheap' apartments - (every $ saved is a $ spent on something more fun)!
I had a number of "nice to haves" as part of my original criteria, but stripping it down, my important requirements are...
- At least 3 beds (each kid in his own)
- no sofa bed for me
- quiet enough for a good nights sleep
- the space to read in bed after the kids are asleep
- enough kitchen facilities to support occasional sandwiches, scrambled eggs and steamed mussels
- a neighbourhood where by day 2 the kids could go down by themselves to get the morning croissant for breakfast at a nearby bakery
- no more than a 15 minute walk to at least one good site
- a 15 minute walk or less to some sort of market (though could be longer if there is a good choice of shops close by)
- a 10 minute walk to the metro

My 'cheap apartment' shortish list (from 565E to 800E for the week, based on this year prices) is the following - looking for comments on locations in particular, but also anything of note!

www.beau-paris.com -> Poissnniere (Rue Montorgueil) - 585E (also on Phileas Fogg)
www.phileas-fogg.com -> Passage des Postes -> 650E
www.vrbo.com - 94988 -> Isle St Louis - 800E
www.lodgis.com
- 2025222 -> 2nd arr -> 625E
- 2046591 -> 4th arr -> 750E
- 3057234 -> 5th arr - 650E
- 2055488 -> 5th arr - 562E

Thanks!!

Apr 17th, 2007, 08:55 AM

You might try www.parisapartmentvacation.com, the historic apartment sounds like it fits your bill. One bedroom with a queen sized bed in it and the room also has the dining table and a sofa. The other room has a trundle bed that makes out into two singles. It has a small, functional kitchen with everything you'd need and a bathroom with a shower (no tub) It is located in Montorgueil area, with a coffee shop that sells a limited number of pastries you can see from the window, about 40 yards away. For more food, the Montorgueil market is just one block further, with everything.

It is located near Etienne Marcel and Rue du Louvre, so you are about 5 minutes from the Louvre, 8 from Pompidou, and 5 from Chatelet-Les Halles Metro, which takes you anywhere.

My family stayed there in Feb. 05 and loved it as a base. There was no air conditioning, but we did not need it then. It is also 1st floor walkup (2nd. fl. American) but the location to the market was great.

Good luck and enjoy.
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Do a search on vacationinparis.

We had a great experience with them two years ago.
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I haven't had time to look at all those lodgis, but I had an immediate reaction to a couple.

First, I wouldn't even consider the Phileas Fogg one (passage des postes). It looks horrible to me, but is certainly only at a disadvantage to the others in many ways, so why even consider it. Okay, it's a good location, I like that area, but it only has a mattress on a platform with a ladder going up to it. That would be for the adults, obviously, as the others are bunk beds. That isn't some kind of place to relax and read in bed (I wouldn't even consider climbing up a ladder to bed), although they do have some cheap clipon lamp on the wall or a pipe or something.

I don't like the Poisonniere one, either, but I don't like that area very well anyway so wouldn't even consider it compared to the others (near Sentier metro). I'm not sure what you are expecting of that area in terms of your criteria. The apt. is barely larger than the other one. I'm forgetting which is which, but you have selected a lot of these very small studio apts with "lofts" or just beds on platforms. Some of them don't even have a place to sit, as the entire space is taken up by the beds. I would think about that.

The Lodgis one on rue Lagarde is a nice area, but I dislike the apt. a lot. They have turned the entire place into a bedroom, and the beds look very bad and the whole place just looks like a hostel because of that. I guess you don't necessarily want to sleep with your spouse, but are okay with twins for the two of you? Because some of these only have twins and bunks or something (and the twins do not seem to easily be makable into a king like some).

I do like the one on the island, I think that is vrbo. It looks pretty nice. I'd go for that one. I also like the 2 BR one on rue des Ecoles on Lodgis (no. 3057234). Given those two choices, I'd dump these other small loft bed places. Both are good locations.
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I'd go with the one on the island -- you cannot get more central than that and there is a special feel there which you will not regret paying the little bit more.
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I'd second the Ile St Louis choice. Location wise, with kids..Jardin des Plantes nearby, Seine, Notre Dame, Left Bank, good dining on island, RER from airport not a long walk.
Sep 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Hi,

I'd like to exchange my appartment in Paris (large and confortable) against one in NY for Christmas and new year's this year.
My appartment corresponds all the criterias you note.
Are you interested in ?
Sep 4th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

I have no idea why based on my post you would have thought I have a New York apartment to swap at New Years...