Theater in NYC

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Tracy Tripp

Theater in NYC

We need suggestions for a couple of Broadway shows to see while in NYC. We are 3 women, 2 in our 40's and the other in her 70's, and would prefer the cleaner shows. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

When will you be in town? That has a lot to do with what is available. The three most popular shows right now are Hairspray, Mamma Mia, and The Producers.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:04 AM
Tracy Tripp

We'll be going the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:08 AM
xxx

At this late a date, you may not be able to get anything ahead of time so you have 2 options. The first one is the TKTS Booth in Times Square or the better choice would be TKTS at South Street Seaport (no waiting line). The second option is the ticket booth in The Plaza Hotel. They always have great availability but the tickets are full price.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:16 AM
Howard

Shows don't get any "cleaner" than Disney's Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. You'll also be safe with 42nd Street. If I interpret you correctly, I don't think most of the other shows would be "clean." No insult intended!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:35 PM
lorraine

www.playbill.com

Lists all the Bdway and Off-Bdway shows.

Mama Mia and 42nd St. is fantastic. Forget about Hairspray, sold out for months and the tix are going for close to $100. There is Oklahoma.

Les Miserables is my all time fav. Show is closing for after the holidays. Go see it. You will not regret it.

Yoo bad you want a 'clean' show as Puppetry of the Penis is the funniest show out there.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:45 AM
Katie

We saw 42nd Street last weekend and really enjoyed it. Got tickets 1/2 price through TKTS-waited about 1/2 hour at Times Square. I think the 70 year old would enjoy it-music from the thirties and forties, beautiful sets and costumes. Enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:11 AM
lisa

42nd street is right up your alley. Thoroughly Modern Millie is also good, clean fun.

I have to say that, while the Producers is hilarious, it is pretty risque. I'm not sure it's your speed. Enjoy!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Tracy

How clean is Momma Mia? That one interests us. Also, I heard that Hairspray was awful. Why is it so popular? Thanks to everyone who replied!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:43 PM
Maybe

And who, pray tell, told you that Hairspray was awful? Maybe it wasn't clean enough for your "expert"!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:45 PM
xoxoxox

Tracy, you're starting to piss me off.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:52 PM
Sorry

Sorry but I didn't think Hairspray was so great...

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:08 PM
squeaky

What is this obsession with "clean"ness? Geez, is a little skin or some bad words such a tragedy? You sound like you'd enjoy Disneyland a lot more than New York.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:19 PM
Nancy

I've yet to hear ANYONE that didn't rave about HAIRSPRAY....I would certainly question the source of that one!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:38 PM
B

To each his/her own--why bash Tracy for clarifying what she's looking for? You don't have to have the same preferences as she does, but it would be nice to make suggestions that are at least helpful. (and what's the nonsense about
"I would certainly question the source of that one!"(i.e.someone who didn't like Hairspray) Can't someone have an opinion here?

Tracy, I saw Mamma Mia and just didn't like it--(I know,I know,many people do)-nothing to do with "clean".I don't rememebr seeing anything you might find visually 'offensive' but the plot premise is that a young woman is trying to see which of 3 men
could be her father. You decide. I can't imagine the 70 year old would be at all interested in the music, story, etc (it does get a little loud sometimes, if that's a consideration).

42nd street, Oklahoma, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Les Miserables are probably the best bets for you. They may or may not be my first choices of shows, but it seems like you would all enjoy them. These are all shows that have mostly good reviews