Search

NYC Trip: Broadway show

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Trip: Broadway show

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be visiting NYC next week, (his first trip), and we want to see a Broadway musical. I have seen theater productions of Rent, Aida, and Les Mis, and Rent is by far my absolute favorite. He has seen Rent and Les Mis and enjoyed Les Mis more. We had hoped to see The Producers but realize that may be near impossible with Matthew Broderick's and Nathan Lane's return. So, here are the options we're considering: Urinetown, Phantom of the Opera, and 42nd St. Any feedback on these shows and suggestions for others to consider? Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM

Since next week comes after the holiday season, you should have no problems getting half-price tickets for all three at TKTS in Times Square, especially for midweek performances.
You are right about The Producers....unless you want to pay scalpers.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Howard is right that you should be able to get tickets easily. I haven't seen Urinetown, but Phantom is, well, Phantom. I didn't love it, but millions of others have.

42nd Street is the quintessential Broadway musical -- big musical numbers, lots of fabulous costumes, tap dancing. It's really lots of fun. Another fun family musical is Thoroughly Modern Millie.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 09:14 AM

I would say 42nd Street or Thoroughly Modern Millie - I think they are the types of shows that everyone will like, because they are what people expect to see on Broadway. I just saw "Millie" a couple weeks ago...the star is SO funny!

I absolutely loved Urinetown (hilarious!), but the 3 friends I brought with me thought it was the worst show ever. I don't think they "got" the humor. Phantom, on the other hand, I thought was terrible (it's about an evil stalker that you're supposed to feel sorry for...boo hoo), but most people seem to like it.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:08 AM
GoTravel

When my mother wants last minute tickets for her and daddy for a hot show, she buys two single seat tickets for the show she wants. Granted, they don't sit together but it has never failed.

My advice, go to the Producers ticket sales and try for two single seats.

If you haven't seen Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick, it is a must see.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:00 PM

you won't even get two single seats for the producers. every seat is sold out except for the VIP's that start at about $400 per ticket. We called the morning they went on sale and could only get singles at that time. It is a waste of time to go over there.

I say go with 42nd Street. It is a beautiful production. If not, try Wicked. With both of them you certainly get your money's worth.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM

PHANTOM!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I just went to www.telecharge.com and was able to purchase 1 ticket to The Producers tomorrow night. It is possible. There are tickets available.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:28 PM
GoTravel

I went and checked telecharge for Producers tickets for Tues, Wed, and Thursday of next week and there are single seats available. I did not check any further out than Thursday the 8th. These seats were $100.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Tomorrow night is new years eve. I would make sure the stars are performing and not their understudies since it is a holiday. Personally, I would take a great seat to see 42nd Street over a nose bleeder seat to see the Producers, no matter who the star is. GoTravel - where were those seats?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Let us not let that classic description of Phantom of the Opera by suzanne go unnoticed:
"It's about an evil stalker that you're supposed to feel sorry for...boo hoo!"
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Why not Billy Joel's Moving Out or Wicked? Why not try something NEW that you can ONLY see on BROADWAY??? Since you will be on Broadway.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Movin Out is incredible. I just saw it for my birthday with my parents (I'm in my 20's and my parents are over 60 and 70) The main cast is still the original cast. It is a ballet set to themes built on a wide range of Billy Joel's music.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your responses!
I have to admit, the stalker theme in Phantom does creep me out a bit. As for Movin' Out, I would absolutely love to see it, but unfortunately I think my boyfriend would rather do just about anything than see a ballet-based musical performance. It sounds like 42nd Street is getting a lot of votes . . . I absolutely love watching choreography, so there's no doubt I'll be in heaven with all the tap dancing. I'm also now wondering about Cabaret; I noticed Adam Pascal is starring, and I LOVE him. I don't know too much about the story or production though--any thoughts?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:38 PM
blh

I vote for Cabaret - saw it a week ago Sunday - it is fantastic. Since it is closing, it might be your last chance to see it. We had table seats that were wonderful - however, I think any of the seats would be great. Susan Egan is fabulous as is Adam Pascal. The story takes place in Berlin, Germany in 1929-30 just as Hitler is coming into power.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I second the vote for Cabaret because it is an amazing show. When we saw it in Chicago, we got our tickets at the half price place because they were limited view seats. They were actually in the first row behind the tables and really great seats. What a deal!

We had a lousy experience at Phantom because our tickets were in the nose bleed section. When the Phantom took off his mask, we couldn't even tell.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:04 PM

I dont know much about urinetown, but you cant go wrong with Phantom or 42nd st. They are classics. I'm sure you have heard les mis is no longer on broadway. It was the longest running show. Some day 42nd st. and Phantom will also be gone. I have heard great things about mama mia, also gypsy is ausome! Have an amazing time!!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Well, while all the suggestions above are great, people seem to be ignoring one of your mentions -- Urinetown. Unfortunately it is closing as the theatre is about to be torn down, but it is a wonderful show. I'm still amazed myself how much I enjoyed it -- tremendously funny, incredibly talented cast, and soooooo unusual. As someone who really loved Rent, I think you'd enjoy it. Something tells me that you'd find it a lot more exciting that the sweet musical with the dancing chorus girls and flashy costumes and sets.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Instead of thinking about Moving Out as ballet (which it is and I love) with the unfortunate images of pink tutus, maybe you can present it as a story told through dance. The dancing is incredible and I'll never think of breakdancing the same way again.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 01:11 AM

I have to say, I too would skip Urinetown. OK but the other choices are better, my opinion only. I just saw, Wonderful Town and Taboo, excellent shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -