The Crystal Cathedral

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:33 AM
lillian

The Crystal Cathedral

I am taking my mom and grandma to the crystal cathedral next year. I would like to stay in this area for convenience for them. I am considering the Residence Inn or the DoubleTree suites. Is this safe for mom and granny?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Michele

Both are completely safe, though the area around the Residence Inn is a bit run down. The hotel property is fine, however.

The Doubletree is closer to restaurants and shops, but the Residence Inn is not that far away. I would suggest whichever suits your wallet, go for.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:14 AM
joe

I live in the area and the neighborhoods are very safe.
I have stayed at the Doubletree and it is a nice high rise (14 stories?) with a smallish pool and a very large lobby.Visiting baseball teams often stay there, it is very close to Angel Stadium.
You could walk to the Cathedral in about ten minutes.The hotel is located on the edge of a large shopping and entertainment complex called the "Block",with lots of dining possibilities.
And sorry to say, Orange County is short on African-Americans, we could use some more.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:20 AM
lillian

Thank you Joe for your response. I in no way was trying to get a minority poll. I was concerned about nightclubs, taverns and the like in the area. The last time I booked a hotel on line there was a strip bar across the street! Granny almost had a heart attack! How far is the Res Inn from the DoubleTree. As I think I am more inclined to stay at Res Inn because of the amenities they offer. Thanks again!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Michele

Lillian,
The Residence Inn is not far from the Doubletree, but I wouldn't walk there. It's not that it isn't safe, it's just not very pedistrian-friendly. Plus, you don't state the age of your mother or grandmother, but the walk might be too much for an elderly person.

Joe is correct. I think you and your family would enjoy the Block. Lots of shops and a good selection of restaurants. It can be a very enjoyable place to walk around. Just a word: the Block does attract teens, so expect more than what you might normally see. However, the ones I've seen were not out to cause trouble, and were polite.

And, yes, Orange County is short on African Americans. I also agree with Joe - we need more diversity!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 01:15 PM
Denise

Every black friend I have (I am white) laughs hysterically at the term African-American. It's another example of political correctness run amok. I don't run around calling myself Danish-German American because my ancestors back a century were born in those countries! Geez, people, let's get back to reality!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 02:28 PM
xxx

OC is diverse enough. No need to import in any minorites.

The Crystal Cathedral is a lovely venue. Are you attending the Easter pagent while in town? Well worth a visit.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
Michele

Denise,
Fodors was nice enough to delete the racist post that originally appeared on this thread. The originator of this thread referred to herself as African-American. I was using the term she used to describe herself.

I suggest you keep up with the program. Sheesh!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 10:45 PM
Ed

Note to Joe and Michelle: It's liberals like YOU who will eventually DESTROY Orange County!!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:55 AM
lillian

Michell,

I don' think stating that I am African American is a racist post. Merely a fact! Or is it?