Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The best Mariott affiliated property in the US?

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Later this month I want to celebrate my 30th birthday in a great spot. I have plenty of Mariott rewards points to spend, so I would like to know what property you think is the best (in any mariott chain including Renaissance, JW, Ritz, etc.) I am concentrating my search in So. CA, AZ and NZ (I prefer heat to cold), but would consider any suggestion.

Thanks!
Terra
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:18 PM
GoTravel

This is outside the area you are looking into but may I suggest the brand new Ritz-Carlton South Beach? Architectually, it has gotten rave reviews for the restoration. Excellent location and South Beach would be a great place for a 30th birthday. The hotel opened December 19th.

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM

Great idea. In fact we are planning on a weekend there in March. The great thing about the new Ritz, you can use your points without the waiver. LMF
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
mjz

The JW Marriott in Las Vegas is quite nice and is in the vicinity of where you would like to travel.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:09 AM

This is a great question for those of us addicted to Marriott points!
Here's my favorites (in the US)in no particular order - Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg - I've stayed there a few times on business but just visited there last week for Christmas and it is great. Camelback Inn in Phoenix - such a beautiful spot - I always enjoy this idyllic setting. The Marriott Marquis in NYC - what a fun spot...never a dull moment here! The Renaissance in Chicago- they left European candy on my bed and Mozart on the radio!! The JW Marriott in DC - great location.
And, when I don't have enough points(or money!) I always enjoy Marriott Mountain Shadows in Phoenix - a poolside room here always puts me in a good mood.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM

The Renaissance Vinoy in St. Pete is a fabulous place. Originally built in the 1930s as a grand hotel, it has been restored to its early grandeur. it is in a lovely spot overlooking the bay on the water, with marinas and parks abounding. There are now many shops and boutiques to walk to. Also, the St. Petersburg Museum of Art is within walking distance, it is an older Spanish Mediterranean building with a terrific courtyard. And the wonderful Salvador Dali museum is a long walk or a short drive away, the largest US collection of Dali's work.

It is unbelievable how this part of the Tampa Bay area has revitalized itself into a more European-styled place in just a couple of years. There are funky shops on Central Avenue with lots of retro antiques and original arts and crafts. The Hampton House of Jazz just opened with soul food and jazz. The Bay Walk has movies and shopping as well.

The beaches on the Gulf (not here in this bay hamlet but a 10 minute drive to the other side) are really wonderful. Lots of good restaurants, lots of seafood, lots of marine life.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM

One of the best is the Marriott Resort at Laguna Cliffs in Dana Point, CA. Check out www.lagunacliffs.com for a stunning view of the property and more information.

Since I live in the area, I've never stayed there but I have dined, drank, and danced, all of which was superb. I am also told by people who have stayed there it is a wonderful hotel.

It's also a short walk to the botiques, restaurants, and nightspots at the Dana Point Marina but the walk back is up-hill all the way.

Since your original question said you were concentrating on (among others) So. Calif, Laguna Cliffs would be a great place to check out.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM

We stayed at the Mariott on Coronado Island last summer, that is in San Diego. It was a beautiful property. On the ocean, not on a good beach though. Near a couple of restaurants and shops. Very laid back and peaceful. Beautiful rooms and great service. Their breakfast in the morning was wonderful and you can sit outside overlooking downtown San Diego across the bay. Very relaxing.

Heavens
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM

The best Mariott affiliated property? Anthing with Ritz Carlton in the name.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:45 PM

Perhaps a little out of your geographic range, landwlkr, but for those others with Marriott points to use who might enjoy a true destination resort in a wooded, parklike setting just 5 minutes from the fabulous, just-opened Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum annex at DC's Dulles Airport, investigate the Marriott Westfields Resort in Chantilly, Va.

This is a relatively new facility with red brick "old Virginia" architecture and gracious ambience, extensive spa, golf, tennis, pool, gym, and biking/hiking venues, as well as a formal restaurant with one of the best reviewed Sunday brunches in the Washington area. Tem minutes to either the airport terminals or Manassas Battlefield national park, fifteen to the Tysons Corner and Reston/Herndon high tech office areas and the world-class shopping at Tysons, and forty minutes to DC.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:25 PM

Have you considered the Marriott Ranch in the Mountains of Virgina, very nice B&B type resort. It is part of the Marriott Chain, but you must reserve directly with the ranch. get more info from www.marriottranch.com
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:43 AM

I am surprised that no one has recommended Camelback Inn in Scottdale AZ. This is one of the best Marriotts and one of the oldest as well. Incredible golf, amazing spa, stunning location. We have stayed in haciendas there and found them romantic and quiet.

www.camelbackinn.com

This is a AAA 5 diamond hotel and has been one for many many years. I would consider it the jewel for Marriott in the West.

If you were considering the east coast, I'd have to recommend the JW Marriott Grande Lakes in Orlando. You can just check in there and avoid all the Orlando destinations. We did this at Thanksgiving and loved the spa and pools. Full privileges between the Marriott and Ritz Carlton. Great restaurants, one of the best spas I've experienced, Greg Norman golf course. Too new for any ratings, but the chain is determined for 5 star designation.

http://www.grandelakes.com/

LMF
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We decided on the Ritz at Lake Las Vegas. It looks fantastic! I've never been to the area before, so it should be the perfect place to turn the big 3-0.

Thanks!
Terra