Searching for a Miami Beach Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are planning a four-day getaway to Miami Beach and have spent hours trying to pick out a hotel, but haven't settled on anything. We're looking for something close to, if not on, the beach and within walking distance of Lincoln Road or the nightlife on Ocean Drive or some other cafe/lounge area. (We just don't want to stay in the Clevelander and be kept awake all night by the clubsgoers!) We're not on a shoestring budget, but we're not in the Delano league either. And we want to avoid places that are under construction or should be. (I know that sounds high maintenace, but I swear we're not. We just really need vacations!)

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:27 PM

Most things that are on the Beach (referring to South Beach, which I assume is what you want as opposed to Middle or North Beach) are within walking distance to both Lincoln road and the beach. You are more likely to be kept awake by the cars by staying at a hotel on Collins or Ocean and then Washington and Lincoln can be pretty noisy with all the people. There are loads of hotels, but there is a doubltree which is next door to the surfcomber and half a block away from the Delano which is nice. Nothing special, but clean and convenient. It is between 17th and 18th. The Marriott is towards the south end of the beach and is definitely not your typical Marriott. It is nice because it is a little further south (by about a block) than the main strip and is on the ocean, which you don't get with many of the hotels in the area. Rooms are definitely pricey for a Marriott, but at least you don't feel like you are at one.

Although you won't be kept up all night in the area, expect to have late nights! Have a great time and a well-deserved vacation.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 12:31 AM

Second Doubletree reference - go for room inside courtyard (i.e avoid facing Collins like the plague). Rooms are fine without being special, but bed great and really quiet. Pool is good and location is second to none. Cookies at reception are really nice too. Only thing we thought could be improved were corridors - gloomy and not always very well cleaned. Reception staff were either really nice ("have as many cookies as you like" or sullen("cookies are only given once on checking in as we will run out").
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:06 AM

I've stayed at the South Beach Marriott and it is very nice and tried to fit in with the architecture of South Beach (Art Deco). The beach is nice, it is quiet at this south end but it is a quick walk to the News Cafe to people watch 24/7 and the Nikki Beach is next door which is a trendy as it comes. Penrods is a restaurant complex right on the beach with Nikki, Pearl, a champagne bar etc. We really love this location but will give the new Ritz Carlton a go if they ever finish it.

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/clubs/list/nikki/nikki1.htm

Have Sunday Brunch at Nemo. It is absolutely wonderful and LilMsFoodie is not a steam table brunch fan.

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all! I'm going to look into those suggestions! While I was looking into places, two caught my interest. Has anyone stayed at either the Loews Resort or The National Hotel?
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Eef

National Hotel will sell rooms through Priceline. The place has gotten spotty reviews from people who've stayed there on biddingfortravel.com
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:29 PM

We recently stayed at The Essex House at 10th and Collins. It is up the block from the Clevelander, but we never heard anything. The hotel was actually very quiet. We got an internet rate through its website of $132/night. We really enjoyed staying there. There is a small pool, and you can eat breakfast out on the veranda. It's also in walking distance to Lincoln Road. It also has suites, but I don't know how much they are.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 07:42 AM

We liked the Albion on Lincoln Road. It's in the Delano vein but not as pricey and it's relatively quiet. Lincoln Road is wonderful and may soon outstrip Ocean Drive for trendiness.

We've also stayed at the Doubletree which I think is the Surfcomber, not next to it. Great pool. Good prices. Room stripped down but less white/trendy than the Albion.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM

The Loews and the National seem to be the two places you'd get if you bid Resort category in South Beach on Priceline (more National than Loews). Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and look at the bidding and reviews sections and see what they have to say about those two and how much they'd go for.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:16 AM

We also stayed at the Doubletree Surfcomber, just for a single Friday night, but also thought it was a pretty comfortable room (we used hotel award points, so I can't comment on the price!) Walk past the pool area (which looked pretty nice, too), to the beach.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:41 PM

My vote is (get ready)-- the Cardozo at Ocean at 13th. It's a true Art Deco gem, with a sexy vibe and truly comfortable rooms. If you're looking for a bargain, the Winterhaven is one block north (Ocean and 14th), and a friend of mine who stayed there raves about it. These are both central to everything fun in South Beach.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input! I'm looking into all those options.

Hope you all enjoy your next vacations!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:28 AM

I am from scotland uk and have booked the Chelsea Hotel on washington drive. can anyone tell me anything about it or the surrounding area. This is my first time in the US and cant wait so ANY hints would be very well appreciated. We are heading over to miami as we like to party so ideas on classy clubs and bars would be great too.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM

The Chelsea is two short blocks from the beach, and is supposed to be a nice little boutique hotel. It is also close to the nightlife farther down Washington and on Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road Mall. However, the stretch of Washington it's on is commercial and charmless. I would have held out for a hotel on Ocean Drive or Collins Avenue.

South Beach is still working hard to stay Trendy and Cutting Edge. It's a small geographic area, so everything is a walk or quick drive/cab ride away. Nightlife, as I mentioned, is all over, but it centers on Collins, a few blocks of Washington, a couple of spots on Ocean, and up and down Lincoln Road Mall. The scene is constantly changing; you would best consult with the concierge at the Chelsea regarding the Hot Spots of the moment.

There are some good eateries in the area too. The best (cheap) Cuban food away from Calle Ocho is at Puerto Sagua on Collins. Wish, in The Hotel, is the new darling of the foodie set in Miami. News Caf�, on Ocean, is a favorite for people-watching. For cheap breakfasts, the Front Porch Caf� on Ocean (in the Penguin Hotel) can't be beat. Larios on the Beach is high-style Cuban and pretty good; one of the owners is Gloria Estefan.

I'm going in July with my new Significant Other, so I should have updated tips then....
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM

I know you said it's not in yr league, and I don't really know how much yr willing to spend, but if it's in yr range, you can get the Delano for around $300 through like hoteldiscount.com or others and from our experience there in March, it is SO worth it.

Maybe consider staying there just the last night of your trip and taking advantage of the awesomest pool ever, cool, modern comfy rooms, and the incredible atmosphere in the lobby/lounge. You can access the beach from the hotel and they'll provide you with lounge beds and towels (free, and nothing beats a bed on the beach). I could've spent the rest of my life in that pool. And the room had an incredible rainforest shower.

The only bad thing I can say is that the room billed as "ocean front" was desperately far from it with a partial ocean view--not worth the money. You'd do fine with a regular room and just spend time enjoying the facilites.

It's at 16th and Collins and there was definitely a lot going on around there, it's very near Lincoln Rd and a bunch of clubs.

Do it!

Kristin
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:12 PM

My wife and I and our 2 teen daughters just returned from SoBe. First night at the Cardozo in a very noisy room overlooking Ocean Dr. Not suitable for a family and no pool for easy lounging. Moved to the Palm Court hotel on Collins. This place is on the beach, one yr old, knockout design in the art deco tradition of the area, and very friendly staff. I highly recommend. Small suite on the 10th floor (quiet) for the four of us was 279/night plus tax. Small pool and direct sandy path to the beach with the hotel umbrellas , chairs, or cabana included. Located a block from Ocean Drive and a block from Lincoln in the 1400 block of Collins Ave. It's so new I didn't read of it when I researched our trip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:54 AM

jpdjmd: Yeah, the Cardozo is not really geared for families. As I noted, the vibe is quite different-- tilted to sensual fun. Noise can be a problem in some parts of the hotel. No pool? Oh well, the BEACH is a few steps away-- I'll take that over a pool any day.

The 1400 block of Collins is not beach-adjacent-- are you referring to the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza at 1545 Collins? It's the only new property I can think of that far down Collins (with a 10th floor). That would indeed be a much better choice for families with children.

For a romantic getaway, I would still look into the Cardozo or the National or (at the budget end) the Winter Haven.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:14 AM

hey bklyner: My wife and i stayed at the national 2 years ago and absolutely loved it. the location is perfect. it is quiet yet right in the midst of things. service is excellent and you really get the feeling when you're there of being in another era. the pool is definitely the best feature, and wehn you tire of it, just open the latch on the gate and walk on the beach. very, very cool hotel.