Thanksgiving on the East Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is in PA and my son is in Boston. We are in Texas and we are trying to select a warm place to meet on the East Coast for Thanksgiving, probably Florida. Any suggestions on resorts or beaches? THANKS
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM

Some wonderful spots in Fla - budget?
you can do anything from The Breakers in Palm Beach to South Beach....

have you done a search on this board for Florida resorts or beaches? I'd start with that.

here's a thread from when I was looking for Florida suggestions :

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34963555

I ended up at the Breakers. If you type in "Breakers, Palm Beach" in to the search this forum bar you can read my trip report.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to go to Florida. It's warm, but the heat and humidity are generally gone. Just nice weather, usually.
Crescent Beach, just south of St Augustine would be a great area. You would have the beach and it's very near the St Augustine attractions.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for all your help! We are now narrowing it down to Bonita Springs, Sanibel Island, Boca Raton, and Orlando. Thanks again.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Escargot! The following review of the Breakers on Tripadvisor disturbed me - any truth to it?

Palm Beach: The Breakers: "Maybe in 1966........"
mollyplum, los angeles, ca Sep 15, 2007

My experience with this property took place in:
September, 2007
Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend? probably not
My ratings for this hotel are:

Value
Rooms
Check in / front desk
Service
Business service
I selected this hotel because ... Beach / Sun

My age: 25-34
Traveling group: Spouse / significant other
My visit was for: Romantic getaway
Upon checking in we were given a subpar room with outdated electronics, poor views, and a less than stellar scent.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM

Since the early 1940's Pete's Bar in Neptune Beach Florida (Just outside Jacksonville at the beach) has had a the best Thanksgiving Day celebration. Pete's opened in 1933 (first liquor license in the state once Prohibition was lifted) And the men used to go while the ladies prepared dinner. For some reason, the ladies decided to join them while "the bird was in the oven". Last year alone there were over 2,000 people there, seeing old friends and celebrating with Mimosa and the best Bloody Mary's you've ever tasted. They have prizes for people who have traveled the farthest; for the most family members in attendance; for the most generations in attendance. It's wonderful!
It will be the most memorable Thanksgiving you will ever celebrate!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:23 AM

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving week one year renting a beach cottage on Emerald Isle in NC. We flew into Jacksonville and rented a car. The weather was warm plus several communities were having Christmas boat parades. It was a little cool for swimming but there were a lot of people on the beach.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM

Here is my trip report from the Breakers, which was in May of 07.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35003284

I can't imagine where that poster on trip advisor stayed. If you read my report, you will see the way it was handled when I even slightly questions our room being above and on the same side as the bar -
The Breakers was one of the most wonderful expriences for us - outdated electronics? I don't know what the poster is talking about - we had a tv, with remote, many channels, clock radio, - what electronics did she expect in her room ? and our view was ocean view b/c that is what we requested.

I don't know what else I can say, except we are returning again this May for Mother's Day weekend and do a search here, as I said , put "Breakers, Palm Beach" in the search this forum bar and read what others have said about the Breakers.

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM

My wife and I spent last Thanksgiving in Cocoa Beach. It was one of the nicest areas we have visited in Florida. There were plenty of things to do , including the Kennedy Space Center (which was great). The area is clean and the people very friendly.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We are leaning towards the Boca Raton area. The Breakers sounds wonderful, but they are full on the Thanksgiving holidays. Has anyone stayed at the Boca Raton Resort & Club lately? Are there any other nice resorts in Palm Beach, Del Ray, or other nearby cities?