Florida in Feb

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida in Feb

My wife and I are planning a first time one week trip to Florida in Feb. We love to swim and are not sure if we should visit the Gulf or Ocean. Also how far North is too far for warm weather. We have looked at Homasassa Springs and Cedar Key but are unsure of the winter weather. we are on a fixed income and desire a quiet beach or river resort.
Thanks for any help.
Bob
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
GoTravel

Have you looked at Hollywood Beach, Florida?

Reasonable and quiet beach town.

www.VisitHollywood.org

or www.Sunny.org

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM

How far north question - West Palm Beach on east coast or Fort Myers on Gulf coast - not any more north in February if you want swimming weather, and even then it might be cool.

Cost question - in general, you will have to decide between higher cost and proximity to water. To save money, we often stay several miles inland (near I95 if on east coast) - downside is you usually get a view of some parking lot and have to drive to beach. I love being able to walk beach right from hotel in AM, but often that is not in our budget.

Wherever you book, check beach erosion and construction issues carefully - either post here or try tripadvisor.com After 2 years of hurricanes, much of south Florida is in a rebuilding mode - nothing to prevent a vacation unless you happen to pick a hotel on a disappeared beach or one where they are hammering in 95 of the 100 rooms.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM

One other thought - avoid President's Day week if you can - rates can be higher, selection lower, and lots of out-of-school rugrats running around. (That said, that is the week I will be in south Florida with my daughter since she will be off from school!)
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Homossassa and Cedar Key will very likely be too chilly to swim in Feb. You'd be safest in the keys, as far as temperature is concerned. (It's in the 60's today, and I'm near Palm Beach.) The upper and middle keys are nice and quiet. It may be quite pricey though. Hollywood Beach which GoTravel mentioned is okay, but it sounds like you might want something a little less built up. If so, steer clear of anything in Dade or Broward counties! Naples might be a good choice, if you can find something in your price range. Personally, I can't imagine vacationing in Florida and NOT staying on the beach. Since you're going at peak season, finding some place decent in your price range right on the beach might be tricky. But honestly, I wouldn't come to Florida and not stay on the beach (I know I'm repeating myself.)
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Hi,
I agree with the remarks stating the further south in Fla. the warmer it will be.

We use cyberrentals.com to find a condo rental with cooking facilities to save $. There's lots to rent on the beach and canals for much better prices than staying at a hotel.

Some will have pools and most of the usual ammeneties that you'd find at a hotel.

Last year we stayed a little north of South Beach on the ocean for $600. for the week.

Although the place we stayed at was very quiet and we could walk everywhere, Miami doesn't sound like it would suit your criteria. Hollywood Beach or Lauderdale by the sea may be a bit more sedate.

Cyberrentals does offer rentals on the gulf side and the Keys but they seem to be higher in price.

Good luck with your vacation!
Sherry
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:57 PM

The WX changes, for example in the Orlando area they are calling for the temp to be 75-80 tomorrow Jan 17. To some this is cool and to some hot, that will depend where you are comming from. To the south it will be a little bit warmer. Others have given you some good information. Enjoy your Florida vacation.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM
GoTravel

Hollywood Beach is anything but built up. If anything, it has been left in a time warp.

Lauderdale-By-The-Sea doesn't allow any buildings taller than two or three stories so no high rises there either.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Temperatures in 75-80 range for Orlando in January are not typical.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM

The current temp in Orlando per WX channel is 79. It often gets into the 70's in Jan. Its the summers that will get the best of you with the heat and humidity. Hate to have the A/C on all the time.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM

I stand somewhat corrected - just checked weather.com and average high for Orlando in Jan is 72, average low 50.

In any event, I do not think OP will find an ocean in Orlando.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM

On average it is a little warmer along the coast.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Redrock, the water temp right here in FLL is 73*...not bad for late Jan,,,west coast FL water temp right now is not as warm. We have the Gulfsteam that keeps our water warmer. FYI Judy
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Calling for a cool down and the maybe a little rain overnight. Yesterday and today were beautiful, temp at the half hour 71 at MCO.