Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Am looking to rent a condo/house Florida panhandle in January. Which beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in early 50's and have been able to retire recently. I would love to go somewhere for a month near the ocean or gulf. I originally considered the Outer Banks in NC with which I am somewhat familiar but after some research it seems as if rentals are less expensive in Florida (at least northern Fl) I know nothing about that part of the country. I am on a budget and really do not like big developments with high rises. I like a more quiet area with beautiful scenery and a beach that I can walk for miles on. Would appreciate any advice.

Pam
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:06 AM
LN

Hi Pam

I see you already looked into OBX (which will be really chilly in Jan) and panhandle beaches will also be cooler than their southern counterparts would be.

The beaches in southwest Florida are most of what you describe. Not many high-rises and lots of homes. We have a place outside Sarasota and many people find the Sarasota, Bradenton, St Pete area great to visit.

Take a look at VRBO.com and see what you can find in your price range there.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM

January can be frigid in Florida. Your best bet will be to go as far south as you can. Unfortunately, that's also the height of the season. You need to book now for your best rates. Better hurry -- our tax assessments just came out and our own taxes on our beach property nearly doubled. Those who haven't booked yet might be hoping to pass some of this on to their tenants.

How about Ft. Myers Beach. It's supposedly still affordable. If you can find a place in Destin, I really enjoyed it recently. It has a nice bike path through the city and lots of little shops. Look for a place in its quaint downtown. Sunset Beach on Treasure Island (Tampa-St. Pete) is also very low key. It's hard to tell what your price range is from your post. For an indication of what you might have to spend, I have a 2-2 house that is 4 houses OFF Sunset Beach that rents for $2300/month (but it's not available).
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

I probably wasn't very clear in my previous post. I do know that temps will be chilly and that doesn't bother me. I just want to be someplace that is pretty, has a nice beach, not real crowded. I envision spendig time walking the beach and exploring the area. Due to budget constraints I was thinking of someplace further north in Florida, I think that is call the panhandle - Pensacola area and further east. Just really do not want to be in high rise or in area that really packs them in.

Pam
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:33 AM
stjohnbound

You might check out Mexico Beach and surrounding area. It's a very nice area, laid back, and didn't get slammed by the most recent hurricanes. Prices should still be pretty good there, esp. in winter. Try VRBO.com for rentals by owner.