Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 week in Florida - on a beach, toddler friendly please advise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All.
I originally posted a question asking for recommendations in the Miami area as this is where we fly into and out of for our weeks holiday on our way back from 10 days in SF and Yosemite NP region.
However, having now researched a lot more, I think I have been looking for something that doesn't exist, so we are widening our search area to more of Florida.
Here is what we are after:
A condo/villa/apartment preferably right on a great beach that is toddler friendly (so sandy, swim friendly, preferably no strong current and doesn't shelve too quickly so our little one can play in the shallows.

Not in a really built up area.
Not in a noisy, party area.
We are really looking for a chilled out place to enjoy some sun and fun family time.

We are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with a few nice places to eat, nothing fancy required just good food And also a shop to buy essentials.
we are staying a week so don't mind driving up to about 4 hours or so from Miami if required to find somewhere that will meet our criteria.

We are also interested in visiting the Caya Costa State Park so wonder if somewhere that direction could be an option, but this is not essential.

Our budget is max $1200 for the week for the accom.
There are 3 of us but would like our daughter to have a separate room as she sleeps better that way, so min 2 bed.

Am I still looking for something that doesn't exist or can you help?!
Thanks in advance x
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Siesta Key, Sarasota

http://siestakeychamber.com/
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:20 AM

We paid about that much last April for a 2br/2ba at Anna Maria Island Club on Anna Maria Island. This is on the gulf though, near Sarasota. We loved it there--very family friendly, no high rises, beautiful beach.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM

When are you going? Condo prices vary depending on the season. I 2nd the suggestion of Siesta Key, near Sarasota. Nicest beach in Florida (I have not been to the Panhandle, where the beach is also supposed to be very nice).
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I will be interested to see if you can find this on the East Coast of Florida. My not-entirely-knowledgeable impression from visiting there is that "not built up" and "right on the beach" don't go together, while such places are more common on the Gulf Coast as you see from the posts above.

Sorry I don't remember when you are coming. You might find a good place north of Daytona Beach as far up as Amelia Island, but that area remains coolish until mid-late April, which might not fit with your plans.

If you are coming off season (hot part of the summer) you might find what you want in the Keys, but your price point is pretty low even then.

It is going to be a goodish drive from Miami International to any of the Gulf Coast towns unless the price of internal flights within Florida have changed. They used to be cripplingly expensive.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM

Cocoa Beach fits your criteria, but I don't know when you will be there.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not built up and right on the beach: Lauderdale-By-The-Sea which is basically a section of Fort Lauderdale itself but the high rises have been kept out.

Some of the places mentioned such as Sarasota and Cocoa Beach are NOT "in the Miami area" unfortunately.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Sanibel and Captiva Islands, fly into Ft. Meyers.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 09:52 AM

I second Sanibel and Captiva. The Gulf Coast is the most beautiful. I am not a fan of Cocoa beach.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

End of April early May.
We could stretch the budget to $1500 for a week if need be but not much beyond that.
Thanks for suggestions will investigate
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM

You most likely will find lower rental rates for May rather than April. I am also not a fan of Cocoa Beach. Sanibel and Captiva are nice but very quiet.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks we are going to go for Siesta Key
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM

Siesta Dunes is one of the nicer condo properties. You can rent directly or there are many properties on vrbo.com.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Hi imogensmummy!

I see you chose Siesta Key which is a good choice!

The most important part I want to stress to you is that since you have a toddler I would definitely choose the Gulf coast as the beaches are beautiful and the waters are much more calm.

If for some reason you decide to change your mind from Siesta Key, I would highly recommend Indian Rocks Beach. There is a place called Sarah Seaside that boast beautiful rooms and it's right on the beach. Its a beautiful, quite, family friendly place to stay. It's also just a stones throw away from beautiful Clearwater Beach. There are a ton of things to do around there as well including the aquarium with the famous Winter the dolphin.

Check out Sarah Seaside here:
http://www.gulfsideresorts.com/sarahs-seaside.html

Either way Im sure you will have a great time. Remember to bring your camera and sun protection!

(I do not work for Sarah Seaside, I am just a local who enjoyed his time there
FloirdaBeachSafety.com