Which Florida Beach?

Feb 26th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Which Florida Beach?

After a somewhat elaborate wedding/honeymoon in the Caribbean late last year, I can't quite afford another Caribbean vacation this year. Therefore, we MUST get to the beach for a break and are looking for one in Florida. I have visited Ft. Lauderdale and would like to try a different location. I would perfer a white sand beach with clamer water (for the option of watersports, if possible). South Beach is too much action, looking to relax and go in late August. Thanks in advance!
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM

Look into Captiva Island on the Gulf side. It has a very tropical, laid back feel. Easy drive from Fort Myers airport.
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Beach:

I've been to Ft. Lauderdale before for vacation, and if I had a chance to go to another FL beach, I'd pick St. Augustine. I've surfed the web and the area and beach looks fabulous.

Feb 26th, 2003, 03:22 PM
LN

Hi
If I were to choose a beach (and I did) it would be one of the gulf outer island beaches (Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, Sanibel/Captiva). You cannot find any finer beaches for white sandy beach, calm water, and very few people (especially in August).
We use jet skis all summer long since there's few people on the island in the summer. The island is our children's favorite summer place.
We fly into Sarasota or Tampa. Tampa is soooo easy - has great flights from the northeast and the DC area.
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Siesta Key!!! Captiva Island is beautiful , we did spend about 2 weeks there every year when we lived up north, but now that I live on Siesta, I will say that our beach has the best sand in Florida. Either one has calmer waters as they are on the warmer Gulf side. The only reservation I would have is coming here in August, as it's probably the hottest month of the year. That's the time I start looking at some vacation options in cooler lands. By September I'm gone to Alaska or Northern Europe or something similar. I have to 'deal' with the heat for about 10 months and the summer months will finally get to me, but maybe others would love sunny and high 90's every day, because that's what it is in August. The good thing about living on the barrier islands is that we do get ocean breeze, whereas the inland does not. Oh, Siesta Key is just off Sarasota, Florida(about 50 miles south of Tampa).
Have a great trip!
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:46 PM
cd

You might want to check out the Florida Panhandle between Pensicola and Dustin. The waters are clear and blue and the sands soft and white Here is a site of rentals by owners. Check them out at http://vrbo.com/vrbo/flpanhandle.htm#Pensacola+Beach
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Fla.is VERY hot in August. Are you sure? What about Bermuda. It's not quite as warm & I think August is sort of off season for them. Or Rhode Island, Maine.
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:24 PM

I have to agree with LN....Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island,and Siesta Key are my favorite beaches...I have been to the Caribbean and I feel like I am at a Caribbean beach when I go there...for a lot CHEAPER!!! It is beautiful and lots to do!
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:42 PM

Captiva is very nice, but my favorite is Marco Island. I LOVE long beach walks with thousands of shells.....August is quite hot in Florida, but they do have GREAT air conditioning..... Go for it..
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:50 PM

I have been browsing site for B&B's on Amelia Island, off of Jacksonville. There are some really wonderful luxurious places to stay! and the Historic Town Centre of Fernandina Beach looks so charming. You might want to look into that.
Feb 27th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Just FYI, late august is hitting peak hurricane season. At the very least you will have strong thunderstorms many afternoons. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it brings down the humidity a little and can kick up some interesting shells.

I would recommend Siesta Key or Marco Island as they both have nice sandy beaches. Siesta Key would be the best of the two in my opinion.
Feb 27th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Brutforce

As an addition to Kate2s reply I will also give Amelia Island high marks. They have everything you want from a good beach, historical fort, distinguished Old Town to several resorts. I also agree w/one of the other posters. It will be very hot that time of year. I would try the Outer Banks or somewhere farther north just becuase of the heat factor. If you are set on Florida I would schedule the trip later if possible.

Feb 27th, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. I am from Tennessee and Florida in August is much better than it is here, mostly because there is the ocean breeze and water to cool off! I visited Ft. Lauderdale in August 2 years ago and I found it to be very nice. We pretty much had the beach to ourselves! We don't mind the heat as long as we can go for a dip because we so love the beach!

Thanks again for the help. I am going to look into all of these suggestions.
Feb 27th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Brutforce

Try ameliaisland.com, ameliaisland.org or ameliaislandinns.com. Most of the B & B's have individual websites as well. If you have specific questions regarding the island let me know & I will do my best to help. We have stayed @ most of the B & B's & can suggest some cottage rentals as well. Let me know.

Mar 7th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Brutforce

ttt

Mar 7th, 2003, 08:37 AM
JBX

-- FYI

> > > Bacteria outbreaks reported at Florida beaches < < <
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida -- Health official warned of extensive bacteria outbreaks at five South Florida beaches popular with spring break crowds. See complete story at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/03/07/bacteria.outbreaks.ap/index.html

Mar 7th, 2003, 10:58 AM

yecch....so far the west coast has not had this sort of outbreak but we do not have that cruise ship channel so close to the beaches. From Canaveral to Port of Miami, you can see the ships lined up to come in. My guess it will be some ship that dumped its holding tanks illegally. I'm sure they are already investigating. This is a huge area though to be on alert.
Mar 17th, 2003, 04:37 AM

I second the Pensacola/Destin area, in particular an area to the west of Pensacola called Perdido Key. It is very low key, and in August you basically have the beach to yourself. Great snorkeling there as well. Here's another site for rentals by owner: www.gulfcoastrentals.com
Mar 17th, 2003, 05:53 AM

I agree with Anna Maria, Siesta and Sanibel/Captiva. My parents used to live in Marco; I think it's way too built up now, traffic's bad and there's little beauty left. (As it is in so many parts of Florida) Another pretty area a bit north of Naples at Vanderbilt beach. There's a nice hotel there....situated next to a national park; very beautiful with natural vegetation on beach, plus picnic tables and restrooms/showers.
I prefer the gulf coast; but if you do Atlantic I really like Ponte Vedra beach just south of Jacksonville.
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM
bluestructure

Destin and the panhandle have beautiful beaches. Stick to the gulf coast and you'll be fine. Clearwater beach (Sand Key) is almost nice. Umm, Amelia Island is great too but only 2 places to stay on the beach---Amelia Island plantation or Ritz Carlton and very $$$$.

Search this Thread