Notices

Best Beaches in Florida, or elsewhere?

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Beaches in Florida, or elsewhere?

My husband and I are looking to get away for our 1st anniversary in mid May. We want to go somewhere beautiful to just relax.

We were thinking of the Caribbean, but I am having a hard time justifying spending alot of money when all we want to do is hang out on a beach. So I am thinking of just staying within the US, we'd be flying out of Philly.

Nightlife is not too too imprtant to us, we like to go out for good dinners- not necessarily expensive restaurants - just quality food - and we like to have a few drinks with dinner or in local bars.

I'm thinking Florida, but am not familiar w/ all the different beaches/cities in florida. & am also open to other suggestions.

Which cities would you recommend?
Any hotels or resorts you could recommend would be great too...looking to spend under $200/night.

Thank you!

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:56 PM

I would recommend Siesta Key (near Sarasota). The beach is beautiful, there are plenty of restaurants and if you just want to hang around on a beach it's a great place. Mostly condos rather than hotels but after the Easter season you should be able to find something for $200 a night. We've stayed at the Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club which are 2 bedroom condos. Probably more space than you'll need, but a nice place right on the beach with 2 pools.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:16 PM

Try Grayton, Seaside, Seacrest or anything in that area of the Panhandle - www.beachesofsouthwalton.com, www.graytonbeach.com, www.web30a.com. We usually rent houses and cook, so I can't recommend names for you, but it's a beautiful area with gorgeous beaches.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM

The beaches of south Walton are some of the nicest you will find in Florida. From Panama City to Destin are sugar white beaches and emerald green waters. Pensacola has gorgous beaches as well but is still recovering from Ivan so I would recommend looking at areas east of Pensacola.

For restaurants, do a search on the Florida board or check Chowhound.com.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:57 PM

Mid May is a great time to be in Florida. The weather will be just about as perfect as it can get. You can spend plenty of time at the beach and it won't be raining, won't be humid. Just perfect, IMO. A little warm for some but I love it.

I don't think you could get the Don CeSar in St. Pete Beach for that price but if you could that'd be wonderful.

There are some nice condos at the southern tip of Treasure Island that are very nice. Pool. Tennis courts. I think they're called Island End -- or something similar.

Check Anna Maria, Siesta Key, Lido Key, Long Boat Key, for starters. I stayed at the Radisson on Lido not too long ago -- it is a great location within walking distance to St. Armands Key.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:45 PM

I live in the Fla panhandle. I have gone to various beaches from the keys up to Jacksonville on the Atlantic side. On the Gulf side from Naples to Pensacola. I have to agree with the previous posts that from Panama City to Destin these are the best beaches Fl has to offer. They have beautiful white sand and crystal clear water esp. in May. Have a great time!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:02 AM

Another vote for South Walton beaches. We've stayed in Santa Rosa, Seagrove and our favorite Grayton. The Red Bar is not to be missed, awesome food in a funky atmosphere. It's a layed back area without any hotels, just condos and homes to rent.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM

Our family stayed in Destin for an Easter vacation. The beach was fabulous!! It is white sand - blue water. You can walk as far as you want. It felt very safe too.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM

My favorite beaches in the U.S. (besides from where I live in New England which are the beaches on Nantucket and the National Seashore) are the beaches in Ft.Walton Beach we have gone many times to Seaside and Watercolors - Our best beach vacations have been there!!!!! May is a perfect time to go!!!! May is the start of hight season -
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:10 PM

lbts.com or coralkeyinn.com, need I say more the pictures speak for themselves.