Search

Florida Keys: any good beaches?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys: any good beaches?

Hello!
We are planning a trip this spring and want to go to Florida. I have read a lot of suggestions for the Beaches of South Walton in the panhandle, but don't see much about the Florida Keys. Are there are any good beaches there at all? Here is what I mean good.
1. Clean sand (not rocky)
2. Very shallow
3. Not a lot of waves.
4. Clear and warm water
We will be going with our toddler and he is allergic to chlorine so we pretty much need a swimming-pool like situation but not in the swimming pool. How is that for a challange? Thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
No, not really.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM
LN

Sounds like what you're looking for are on the barrier islands of the gulf coast of Florida. Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key, Siesta Key, and Sanibel Island.

AMI, Longboat, and Siesta have the most beautiful talcum powder beaches, surf is generally very easy on the gulf, clear, clear water.

For spring (around Easter) I'd recommend any beach listed. The panhandle is a lot colder at that time of year
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Unless it's late spring, get way south of the panhandle to get warm enough water. Assuming you want to stay where there is a beach right there or only a short walk/drive, there are resort places in Key West, as well as Hawk's Key resort (Duck's Key in the central Keys, if you're okay with what I believe is a manmade beach).
Or try Naples, where there are miles of nice sandy beach and calm water and hotels on the beach.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The Keys just don't have the same kind of beaches that other places in Florida offer.

But, based on what you describe, this is the closest I know of in the Keys.

http://www.whitegatecourt.com/

No pool. A "Key's Style Beach" which is a manmade beach on the bay side. Calm water. Crystal clear water. A manatee usually hangs around near the dock. Cottages with kitchens/ kitchenettes. The grounds are just wonderful - old Florida/ tropical grounds. Lots of grassy areas for a toddler to run around. BBQ grills and tables outside to cook your own meal. In MY favorite part of the Keys - Islamorada. Once you turn off the highway and on to the grounds, you really feel like you are in a different world.

There are some pretty beaches you can drive to in the Keys, but this sounds like the perfect place for you and your family - if you want a low key vacation in the Keys.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Florida Keys is not known for its powder sand beaches. Probably the only 2 locations that will come near your criteria are Bahia Honda key (12 miles south of Marathon) and Smather's Beach (west of Key West) See http://www.go-florida.net/beach-keys.htm for a broader discussion about Florida Keys beaches.

If top quality beaches are non-negotiable then consider the south west regions such as Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota and Englewood. The beaches are fabulous... see http://www.go-florida.net/south-west.htm for more detailed info about the region

Hope this helps
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM

The keys are coral, so all the beaches are man-made and most are very small. The water is also shallow and usually very reedy. Though Key West is my favorite vacation destination, I don't think the keys will fit your requirements.

When our children were small, we stuck to the Florida panhandle, though other coastal areas there would work well for you, too.