Search

Maine in May?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
tec
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in May?

We are in the midst of planning our summer vacation and have decided upon Maine. However, it looks like the week that will work best for us is going to be towards the end of May (May 27 - June 4). In doing my research, I've read that this is also the prime time for bugs. So, I'm wondering how bad it really is. It will just be the two of us (early 30's) and we like to do outdoorsy type activities. We planned on spending most of our time around Acadia, although we were also hoping to make it to Baxter State Park as well. Any thoughts on the timing? Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apparently you can hit a bug week anytime late May through July, depends on when the spring thaw is. I was there last May/early June and in an area known for mosquitoes, they really weren't bad at all. Wear a cap and spray it with "Deep WoodsOff 100% deet." Eat a lot of garlic, that keeps them away. Some people say bathing in Skin So Soft by Avon helps, others say use "bounce" on all your clothes and it helps. But really I think that the "mosquito hell" stories are over-exaggerated.

Unfortunately you need to wear long pants on your hikes to help prevent deer ticks from getting you. Lyme disease something to avoid at all costs. Shake off your clothes and take a shower after all hikes. Any sign of a "bulls eye shaped" bug bite...see a doctor.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM

Mosquitos are not bad that time of year but the blackflies and no-see-ums can drive you insane. I don't know what kind of consolation this is but it might be still too cold for bugs.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:39 PM

The only time I was in Maine at that time was in 1970 when I was in Greenville (Moosehead Lake) for a few days. Black flies were TERRIBLE!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM

Going to be in Bar Harbor ,May 5-6-7th. Never been there but everything I read is GOOD. I was wondering about the bugs myself.