Which Florida beach and hotel in August?

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Florida beach and hotel in August?

My husband and I would like to take a trip to the beach in August. It will be our last trip for awhile (and our first real trip since our honeymoon 10 years ago) so we want it to be special. We want the Caribbean feel (blue waters, tropical) but we would like to stay in Florida/general US.

We want to stay right on the beach (where we open our balcony doors and the beach is right there). We would prefer a larger hotel with lots of restaurants onsite with room service. We were considering Palm Beach Ritz, Key Biscayne Ritz, Naples Ritz, Palm Beach Breakers, etc. Cost is somewhat of an option (we prefer to stay around the $250 - $400 a night range). We want that "read a book on the beach chair... with a tropical drink in hand...the waters lapping at our feet" feel. We are open to other areas (we were looking at the Bahamas) but we would prefer to stay in the US. We would really appreciate all your help!! Thanks!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM

I guess you know Fla. can be brutal in August and that it's hurricane season? At minimum you're likely to have daily thunderstorms. For blue waters/tropical, I think the Gulf side (ie Naples or Sarasota) is better but it may also be warmer.

If you're pregnant, this may be pretty uncomfortable. I'd consider a beach further north.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:23 AM

I go to the Jupiter/Juno Beach area. It's not as busy as other areas like Palm Beach, and is more relaxed. The beach is gorgeous and not very crowded. There are great restaurants around the area too. It's about 20 minutes north of West Palm Beach.

This is where I'll be staying in a week.
http://www.jupiterbeachresort.com/index.cfm
You can get an oceanfront room with a balcony in your price range. It's right on the beach! It's not as special as the Breakers, but you would get more for your money.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:24 AM

Even Florida's Panhandle (Destin, Seaside, etc.) is miserably hot & humid in August, so I'd say anywhere in FL will be roughly the same in terms of weather.

The Gulf is like a bathtub down South (Naples etc.), but a smidgen cooler up in the Panhandle area (but barely -- and the water is still really warm).

Your list is a good start -- perhaps add Sanibel/Captiva, South Seas for example? Also the Don Cesar, St. Pete.

Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

The beaches further north are just as susceptible to hurricanes as are the ones in Florida and the beaches up through the Mid Atlantic will be just as hot with not as pretty water.

My pick would be The Breakers or the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne.

The water temps in the Gulf and Atlantic that time of year will be the same.

Palm Beach is a really sleepy southern beach town whereas Miami has a lot of cultural sexiness to it.

For me, it is a coin toss.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
GoTravel

Here is escargot's outstanding trip report from The Breakers.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=The+Breakers

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Wow!! You guys are fast! We are taking a gamble going during hurricane season (we are from Houston, TX) but we will just keep our fingers crossed LOL! We will not be pregnant yet but this is our getaway between our first child and getting pregnant with the second (hence we will not be taking a trip for awhile after this). I am hoping that being so close to the water will modify the heat somewhat (Galveston is always cooler than Houston).

It was escargot's recent trip report that put the Breakers on the list - that is the experience we want but I have read a few negative things about the Breakers (someone said it was moldy?). I want the isolated "feel" but still enjoy knowing a large city is close. Thanks again!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
OK, 'nuff!!!

I live in South Florida. When comparing bad weather, I suggest you compare the bad up north (winter) with the bad in South Florida (summer).

I'd take South Florida any day. You just have to understand what you're doing and when.

In June and September (and possibly July & August) you could have rain every day (although many years July and August could be quite dry). That keeps the temperature from going above 92 degrees. So it doesn't get as hot as in many place further north.

Also, when people say it rains every day, it's different. It's not a weather system covering the area for two months.

You get up in the morning to blue skies. Between 8AM and 11AM is the time to go to the beach.

Then the clouds start to build and you'll have thunderstorms for an hour or so and the temperature will drop somewhat. Then the clouds begin to move out and you can have a great evening on South Beach.

The high humidity has its good and bad. Just learn to walk slowly and wear a sweater when you go into many stores.

On the positive side, your skin will be as soft as a baby's rear. Until you get on a plane to go home and the dry air will make your skin peel.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Oh. Forgot to mention. A thunderstorm and hurricane having nothing to do with each other.

You can see a hurricane coming for days. In any given year very few hurricanes come near any given place.

It's those few that get the publicity; Wilma, Katrina, etc.

In most cases you'll know before you leave home whether there's a hurricane moving towards the area. I wouldn't worry about that.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
GoTravel

Agreed, thunderstorms usually only take place for around 30 minutes in the late afternoon but coming from Texas you probably already know that.

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM

Have you thought of the Ritz Amelia Island, outside of Jacksonville? The rates there are often cheaper than other Ritz porperties, and it just went through a massive renovation. Some rates may even be BELOW your price range.