Search

Florida Keys

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Keys

Anyone been to Hawk's Cay Resort? Am considering family vacation there and would like some input. Have 11 year-old, likes to snorkel, but also loves beach. Thanks.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:08 PM

If you love beaches, you should rule out the keys. The keys are coral and all the beaches are man-made (most are tiny, too). In addition, I've heard that Hawk's Cay is undergoing renovations.

To this very negative sounding post, let me add that Key West is our absolute favorite travel destination. We spend a minimum of 4 weeks a year there, but definitely not for beaches!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Key West is our favorite, also.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Hawk's Cay might be geriatric for an 11 year old. Snorkeling at Pennekamp or Bahia Honda are great destinations. The state park has a small beach at Bahia Honda. You could stay at a modest hotel in Marathon or Islamorada and travel to snorkeling and what beaches are available.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
GBC

Marathon has a nice beach. It is called Sombrero Beach. Key Colony Beach, just north of Marathon, has a nice, but small beach, and a beach club which includes a pool. Entrance (temporary membership) to the club is often available with rentals there.

Snorkeling is available on boat trips out of Pennekamp State Park, Marathon, or Key West. In the keys, snorkeling off the beach isn't very good. You need to get out to a wreck, or a channel marker. The boat trips will also supply equipment.

I agree with those above. Keep searching. You can do better than Hawk's Cay.