Thanksgiving dinner in NYC/question about opentable.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for T-giving dinner in NY? We are primarily going to see shows, so most other restaurants will be in the theatre district, but on Thurs, it is all about the parade and a fine dinner.
Is opentable.com the way to go to get reservations? Many restaurants I enter come up with "not yet accepting reservations", but I don't want to wait too long.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

I think OpenTable only goes 30 days in advance. My daughter and I may use it for our November 9 - 11th weekend in NYC.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

If you want a traditional dinner I would use opentable to se which places are serving them - and what the seating hours are.

If you're interested in a particular place I would call now and ask what date reservations open.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM

I'm unsure of the message you're getting. You can enter the date and time on Open Table and then ask for all Manhattan restaurants or click for a specific area. The resulting list will show open reservations for all those that are accepting them. If you go to the bottom of that list where it says "# of additional restaurants with no availability", you can click those and then each restaurant will either say that there are no times available within two hours of your requested time or else will say it is too far in advance to book.

If you are just entering a specific restaurant, I'd think you'd get a more specific answer as to whether they have none available or it's too early.

What specific restaurant are you looking at? There are quite a few restaurants on Open Table already accepting reservations for Thanksgiving. That 30 day limit depends on the restaurant -- not necessarily on Open Table's requirements.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM

Also, I find menupages.com to be another good resource for my NYC dining research.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

ALso opentable sometime shows no availability and when I call, there is. For thanksgiving I would call now. You can always cancel if something better turns up.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Friend of A Farmer is supposed to be great and only takes reservations on Nov. 1.
Here are some good old posts from previous years on the subject

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34895276

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34876570