Telluride, CO lodging

Search

Telluride, CO lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Telluride, CO lodging

We will be in Telluride for 2 nights in August. I'm debating whether to stay at the Hotel Madeline in the Mountain Village or to stay in town. We can get a great deal at the Madeline, but the parking is expensive and a pain in the neck. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in town for less than $200 per night? I've been to Telluride before, but it's been many years and I've never been up to the Mountain Village area. Any opinions are welcome!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I prefer to stay in town. Victorian Inn has about the best prices; nothing fancy but great location and comfortable, clean rooms. I hope your stay isn't on a festival weekend, makes it more expensive and harder to get a room. They have limited free parking. There is a free lot at the beginning of town, you can take the Galloping Goose into to hotel if need be.

http://www.victorianinntelluride.com/
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb. I had looked at the Victorian Inn, but then I found a killer deal on the Madeline ($149) so I have to consider it. It looks like EVERY weekend is some sort of festival or other. We're going to the arts and culinary festival, which is up at the Peaks.

What restaurants do you recommend. We only have one dinner since the other night is the festival, so we want something nice.

Thanks!
Deb
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 08:24 PM

True, every weekend is a festival there. They have one weekend that is not and it is called "no festival Festival!"

Allred's on the mountain; Cosmo[politan], New Sheridan or Rustico Ristorante in town would be my suggestions for a nice dinner.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:54 AM

DebitNM knows what she's talking about! All great restaurants.

It's been awhile since I've been to either Cosmo or Allred's so I can't comment on the food. But both have great atmospheres.

On my last trip out, we hit Rustico, New Sheridan, La Marmotte, and 221. All were great. Rustico lacks some of the polish of the others, and, being from NY, I get plenty of Italian food here. But it was good nonetheless. Still, I think I'd put it on the bottom of the list. (One nice thing about Rustico worth mentioning is that it is a huge restaurant were you can get a table at times when the others are packed.)

The choice between New Sheridan, La Marmotte and 221 is a tough one. La Marmotte is traditionally our family's favorite. It's just an all around great restaurant. Yet I had my personal best meal of the trip at New Sheridan. And there's something really sweet about the atmosphere and total dinning experience at 221. Sorry for my indecisiveness!

If you are a golfer I could see staying in the Mountain Village, which is a perfectly nice locale. But it is town that makes Telluride so special. The combo of having an authentic, walkable, vibrant, town surrounded by wilderness can not be topped. You won't get that at the Mountain Village -- or any where else for that matter.

The nicest hotel in Telluride is the Camel's Garden, although it might be a bit out of your price range. Their sister property, the Ice House, is always a good choice and is less costly.

I don't mean to diss Hotel Madeline or the Mountain Village. The gondola makes the trip easy enough, and since you have an event at the Peaks, you're in good shape up there. But it's not Telluride, in my opinion. You should also know that Madeline is in bankruptcy, which is one of the reasons it is able to undercut every other hotel in town. Not sure if that is effecting their service, but I would assume it is having some impact.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM

We enjoyed a nice meal at La Marmotte a while back but I see it now is getting some really mixed reviews on TA.

Being locals, we didn't often stay overnight so I can't speak to most of them. We did spend a nice night at Victorian Inn and a few years ago, a nice stay at The Peaks[but that was under old mgmt]. We also stayed at a home rental through Alpine rentals.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM

In June we had a very nice room at Hotel Telluride for $232, including breakfast and tax.

HTTY
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM

In June we had a very nice room at Hotel Telluride for $232, including breakfast and tax.

HTTY