Search

Taxis at JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxis at JFK

Is there any difficulty getting a taxi from JFK to midtown on a Friday evening at around 9 pm?
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM

No. Just go to the taxi stand.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM

The only time you might have to wait a few minutes for a cab to turn up is about midnight or later. There will be a line for cabs - but it moves quickly - since they pull up in groups of 3 or 4 from a holding pen - that usuaally has over 100 cabs in it.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

It looks like we now might take an earlier flight. We can arrive at Newark around 3:15pm on Continental on a Friday and JFK on American at around 4pm (end of July). It is about $20 a person cheaper to fly to Newark. Any thoughts about which airport is better in terms of ontime, traffic, and taxis?
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
GoTravel

I'd fly into Newark just because it is a little closer and will take a little less time to get into Manhattan.

Old May 24th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I'm sorry but a Friday in July is no fun in any scenario other than you'll be going against the traffic getting into the city. But for tunnels, they make more lanes going out of the city so there are fewer going in. I think it's 6 of one half dozen of the other. Pick the airline you like better.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Also, a taxi at Newark will have to cross state lines to take you to Manhattan--there may be an additional charge since a NJ taxi cannot take a fare back to NJ from Manhattan legally. The set rate from JFK to Manhattan (inbound only) is $45 plus tolls and tip. I'm not sure what a NJ cab would charge from Newark.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM

To get to Manhattan from EWR, I usually reserve at car service, www.dial7.com

The price is the same or less compared to a taxi. Just call with your reservation number when you have your bags.

From JFK, I take a cab if I'm arriving at an "off" time and anticipate a short taxi line, or I reserve a car if I'm arriving at a busy time or want to pay with credit card.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

The choice is Continental to Newark or American to JFK.

The last time we stayed in New York, the concierge was very negative about taking a car service to the airport., so we ended up with a taxi.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Every New Yorker has a different recipe for taxis to and from the various airports. I can only offer my experience:

1. JFK - To Manhattan: Take the yellow cab only, go to the "Taxi Stand" only and make sure to get a yellow ticket from the taxi stand operators. Do NOT take cabs from folks walking up to you to offer rides. It's a fixed fare from JFK of $45. Does not include tip or toll. Toll is currently $4.50.

From Manhattan to JFK - Yellow cab is fine most of the time. If you are going during rush hours or major holidays - leave extra extra early and you should call a car service instead as yellow cabs are harder to find. One reliable services is Carmel (212-666-6666). Yellow cab fares are on the meter and car service price is set. Again toll and tip not included.

2. LGA - To Manhattan: Take the yellow cab only, go to the Taxi Stand only and make sure to get a yellow ticket from the taxi stand operators. Do NOT take cabs from folks walking up to you to offer rides. It's not a fixed fare from LGA. It's metered fare and it does not include tip or toll. Tolls are $4.50 currently.

From Manhattan to LGA - See the same suggestions from Manhattan to JFK.

3. EWR - To Manhattan: Yellow cabs from Newark are NJ Yellow Cabs often and not necessarily NYC Yellow Cabs. Again - seek the taxi stand operator and get a ticket showing exactly how much fare you will pay. I havent had a great experience with NJ yellow cabs personally who try changing rates on me or quoting various tolls. You may want to reserve a car service to pick you up as you will know for sure what fare you are paying for. Tips and tolls not included. Be very careful with the tolls. The first toll in NJ varies depending on the entry point into the Expressway and the exit the driver uses. Ask to see the NJ toll ticket when the driver gets it and then pay attention to the exit used from the toll way so you know exactly what toll is due. There is usually a second toll to cross into Manhattan by bridge or tunnel and those are posted clearly on the toll booth.

Manhattan to EWR - You can use a yellow cab and be prepared to get an attitude from some yellow cab drivers who may not be happy going to Newark. Its metered fare - tips and tolls not included. Again watch the toll issue. There is no toll to cross from Manhattan to NJ but there is a variable toll to use the NJ expressways to Newark. Again - car service allows you to know what fare you are paying up front.

Last tip - When using a any NYC car service - make sure you are getting a ride for you and your group to / from the airport only. Make sure that they dont pick up other people not in your party at other points in NYC - unless you are booking a shuttle service. If they do pick up other parties unexpectedly - complain! And do not have them charge each party for teh same one pick up.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM

P.S. One more tip! When in New York - sound like a New Yorker. When we get into a cab - we never say: "Please take me to 453 West 23rd Street". We are far more likely to give an intersection ("Take me to 23rd and 6 Av" or "79th and Lex") or a general location ("Take me to Grand Central" or "Columbus Circle"). You can be more specific about your location once you get to your intersection - which you can google if you are not a New Yorker. My experience is that when you sound like a lost tourist - you are more likely to be taken for a "ride" you dont want.