Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Taxi from Penn Station for very short distance?

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys-

Planning a 2.5 week trip to DC/Williamsburg/NYC for next May/June. Traveling with me would be my parents and my daughter.

I am in the midst of trying to decide whether I want to fly or take the train from Williamsburg VA to NYC.

If we take Amtrak, we would arrive at Penn Station at about 5:30 p.m. We will probably be staying either at the Comfort Inn Manhattan at 42 W 35th or at the La Quinta at 17 W 32nd - both locations appear to be within a couple blocks of Penn Station.

Will we have a problem getting a taxi(s) to take us such a short distance to the hotel? I can't imagine trying to walk down the street with our luggage during the midst of rush hour.

Alternatively, we could fly from Newport News into LGA (which would take half the time as the train) and then do a car service to the hotel.

I'm not sure which method would be the easiest/least amount of hassle - though arriving several hours earlier if flying gives that option a big plus.

Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM

You'll probably stand in the taxi queue at Penn Station longer than it will take you to walk to the hotel.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

>You'll probably stand in the taxi queue at Penn Station longer than it will take you to walk to the hotel.<

Good point - but how difficult would it be walking down the street (4 of us) with our luggage at 5:30 - 6:00 p.m.?

It's been years since I've been to NYC, but I recall the incredible congestion on the sidewalks in the late afternoon as people were getting off from work. Or will that area not have a huge amount of foot traffic then?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Depending on the exit you take out of Penn Station, the La Quinta is 2 longish blocks away. It would really be silly to take a taxi. As long as you can handle your own luggage, walking will be fine. There are certain side streets that are less busy than others that we can recommend when you have your plans finalized

As far as your actual question, taxis are required to take you anywhere within the 5 boroughs (assuming they're on duty). If you really must take a taxi (but you really shouldn't!) just get in and then tell them the destination. Taxi drivers are fine with short trips as they make more money since they get $3 or more each time someone gets in the cab, but proportionally much less for longer trips
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 02:05 PM

4 people and suitcases in 1 cab for a few blocks?? We walked from Penn Station to Madison and 31st rolling our bags and it was no problem.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We regularly walk from Penn Station to W. 19th/10th with luggage,very easy to do.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Can I ask why those hotels? It's not the area I'd pick. If you're using that hotel group, have a look at the Hotal at Times Square. If it doesn't have to be that group, there are loads of better options. The area around Penn Station is sort os nowhere's-ville for dining or any sort of neighborhood feel.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

My parents wanted to stay within a 10-15 minute walk to Times Square but not right in Times Square. They also wanted a hotel that is close to a subway stop as my mother has some mobility issues - she can walk around, but not all day or for really long distances.

My parents stayed at that particular Comfort Inn last year for several days following a New England cruise and they thought the hotel was a decent budget choice - they especially liked being close to the Herald Square subway station and Macy's.

Excepting the fact that my parents expressed interest in the Comfort Inn since they are familiar with it, I'm not particularly tied to these hotel choices - though budget definitely played a factor. I've already got plans to travel to Thailand and Cambodia in January so I'd like to keep the hotel costs down (or should I say way down, in terms of NYC average hotel costs).

Glad to hear that walking a couple blocks with luggage isn't completely impossible if we decide to take the train.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM

The Hotel at Times Square fits their wish list better than the others except for being near Herald Square. If they prefer the location near Penn Station, the Affinia Manhattan has just been renovated & literally across the street.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM

How much luggage will you have? Is everyone able-bodied? If so - agree that it will take longer to get a cab then to walk to the hotel. And yes, the driver will be aggravated that the fare will be net to nothing - $2.50.

Walking is certainly possible - with reasonable luggage. BUT, you have to walk single-file and keep good control of the luggage or you will be tripping people left and right. Do not try to walk 4 or even 2 abreast - this rally isn;t possible there at that time even without luggage. Make sure everyone knows where you're going - and can get there on their own. Above all - don;t try to rush the lights with luggage - you dont want to be caught in the middle of the street with 5 lanes of traffic bearing down on you.

If it were me I would fly and get there earlier.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie-

The Affinia Manhattan looks nice - I'm going to show it to my parents. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 02:24 AM

This past weekend I walked up 10 and over 2 (blocks) with a check-in, medium sized bag at the height of lunch hour on a Friday and morning rush on a Monday. I was in very good company. Simply took my time and pulled my bag behind me at times. I love taking the train. Whatever you decide, enjoy a great trip.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 05:09 AM

The area around Penn Station is really crowded, but the crowds are worst along 34th Street. The key to getting around with luggage is to avoid 34th at all costs. Once you are 50 feet south or north, it's not nearly as bad, though Koreatown streets (especially 32nd east of 7th Avenue) are also really crowded, particularly during the evening rush.

But you'll wait about 15 or 20 minutes for a taxi at the busiest times if you are lucky (I once had to wait 30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon), and you may not get one at all. This is one of the worst places in NYC to get a taxi. The walk to any of these hotels is 10 minutes or so, even with the crowds. You just have to push through and deal with it and not try to go too fast. But walking is definitely the way to go.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 05:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Fly. The railway from Williamsburg to DC is known for delays. Instead of PHF, though, look at flying out of RIC to LGA. I don't think there are any nonstops out of PHF since Airtran left. RIC is only 45 minutes from Williamsburg and you can get a nonstop to LGA.