Penn station at 2AM how safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many have helped me decide to take a night train to DC from NYC to meet my schedule for a Capitol Tour. So I am now leaving on Amtrak from Penn Station at 2:45 AM. How is this neighborhood at that hour? Should we take a taxi? (three tourists with carry-on luggage- 2 male, 1 female?). Any fun ideas for how to stay up until 2AM in NYC (that should be easy right?). We might still be on California time so it will seem early!
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:31 PM

I don't know about walking to Penn, but the Subway lines that Service Penn Station were very busy during the early morning hours when we were there last summer.

We were very surprised to experience standing room Subways on the line that services Times Sq even after midnight.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:38 AM
QC

The neighborhood AROUND Penn Station will be somewhat desolate at that hour. I would advise against walking around there, not much will be open.

The Subways only run once or twice per hour after 1AM or so. Pass. Take a taxi.

The good news is that Penn Station has continuous National Guard and Police patrols, so you will be fine in the main waiting areas. Don't pet the dogs, they're working.

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:56 AM

The subway to Penn Station goes into the station. So you wont be wandering the streets with luggage. But personally, I find it awkward to manuever luggage up and down stairs in subways. And if there are three of you, I'd book a taxi. I dont know where you're riding from but at that time there wont be traffic in Manhattan so it will be cheap, especially split three ways.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Taxi. Definitely. For all the reasons above -- why struggle with luggage, won't be too expensive with 3 ppl, trains come infrequently at night, why risk it?
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM
GoTravel

The only dangerous thing at Penn Station at 2AM are the bathrooms. They are gross.

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Ha Ha. Taxi it is. We are storing luggage at the hotel. So will just book taxi from there. Thanks. m