Hamilton Station, NSW Taxis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our visit to Australia we are staying up in the Nelson Bay area. Thinking of taking the train from SYD to Hamilton and then picking up our rental car. Saves a long drive after a long flight and we enjoy train travel.

According to the station details there is a taxi stand nearby but looking on Google Streetview I have been unable to see it. I emailed Newcastle Taxi but did not receive a reply. We could go to Waratah which is closer but then we have to change trains again.

Would appreciate it if anyone has local knowledge and can clarify the feasibility of taking a taxi. It will be about a 3 km trip to the Hertz rental location.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd be surprised if there weren't a Taxi Rank outside the railway station. In the event that there is not, or that there are no cabs on it, you will be able to hail one on the street. Just walk through to Griffiths Road.
Or use your mobile to call one.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. It appears that Griffiths is Donald near the station. Is that where you meant?
As we will have suitcases I am trying to avoid being stranded but will make sure I have a taxi number in my mobile.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM

The taxi number for all of Australia is 131008. It's a central line with connections to local taxi' s just about everywhere.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the taxi number, that is great.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 04:44 AM

john2003, disregard the above taxi number.

Taxi number in Newcastle is 133300.

I live in the city, the number is direct, but has a very annoying android voice service. Just say "no" or be silent at the first prompt and you will get through to an operator.

The taxi stand is just outside the train station on Beaumont St.

All taxis in Australia are metred, so the fare will be fair.

If you are taking the train from Sydney to Hamilton, you might like to know that there are express trains and all-stations trains (which are much slower), and that all trains on the Inter-City line have "quiet carriages" where no loud conversations, music, etc are allowed. They're the 1st and last carriages, and middle carriages on longer peak-hour services.

Enjoy Nelson Bay, it's beautiful in every respect, scenery, food, great activities like whale and dolphin watching, fishing...

One thing you should do is take the ferry to Tea Gardens, and depending on your available time, explore the Myall River.