Swimming in October?

Search

Swimming in October?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swimming in October?

Hi there, my husband and I (mid 30's) will be taking our first trip to NC the 2nd week of October and we're wonder if swimming in the Outer Banks at that time of year is at all possible? We're used to Cape Cod weather and beaches in August. We're trying to decide between Outer Banks or Wilmington area. Since we're coming from NYC, we're not looking to be entertained non stop, but we would love to browse nice towns, southern architecture, art galleries, and of course great food. Is it possible to get a rental for 2 in the Outer Banks? Everything I see out there looks like it's meant for families taking over a whole house. Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Our favorite time of year to go to the NC beaches IS October & yes, you can swim (unless you are a 'bathwater-only' swimmer, in which case you would be limited to July & August). However, we always visit the Brunswick Islands south of Wilmington - www.ncbrunswick.com. I'm not sure the weather/temps in OBX will be so kind, as I've not been out there in the Fall. http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html I'll defer to the OBX'ers. Sounds like you need to go to Charleston though.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 06:37 AM

Yes, the water is still plenty warm in early October for swimming. It's actually one of the best times to be down there. One thing, though, the surf on the Outer Banks can be very rough, and the beach drops off into the water pretty sharply in a lot of spots, so many stretches of beach are not always a wade out/float around on your back kind of swimming experience. But this is not everywhere, by any means. Most beach houses are meant for larger groups, but I'm sure you could find a smaller beach house (probably not oceanfront), and there are a few beachfront hotels to be had as well. It will be fairly quiet down there in October. Not deserted by any means, but not mobbed either. And of course, you have miles and miles of undeveloped beach and dunes to choose from.

Beaches around Wilmington are calmer, and Wilmington does have quiet a bit of nice architecture/homes, etc.

If you have time, try to get to Bath, Edenton, or Washigton NC. Or all three, they,'re not that far apart. These are all old historic towns with interesting historic districts. Bath is the smallest-it's the oldest incorporated town in NC.

Also, there are two car ferries that run to the mainland from Ocrocoke. So if you go all the way down there, you can get back over (the one to Swanquater would be good if you wanted to visit the towns above)
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM

The water temperatures in the Outer Banks in October should be at least 70 degrees and the beaches closer to Wilmington will still be in the mid-70s. October is a very nice time to be in the Carolinas. In fact, it is my preferred time to go to the beach.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Beaufort, NC is a really cool little town with several B&Bs, and great restaurants. Most things stay open 'till January because so many yachts stop here from the intercoastal waterway on their way south. There are short Ferry rides out to Shackleford and Core Banks beaches (great to see wild horses and shell collecting). Couple of art galleries.
There are several small hotels (including a beachfront Sheraton) & lots of nice beachfront condo rentals in the Atlantic Beach/PineKnoll shores area (driving distance to Beaufort and Morehead City restaurant,& PineKnoll shores aquarium) .
We moved here from New Hampshire 20 yrs ago and went in the water in January and always in October. Beaches are a little different than New England- shallow farther out with sudden drop offs and sometimes rough (like South Beach in the Vineyard). Now we swim April/May to November. My parents live on Cape Cod & just like "don't swim with the Chatham seals" I would no longer swim if the "bluefish are running close to shore" -same reasoning.
You will love it here.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I'm prejudiced. Between Wilmington and the Outer Banks I'd choose Wilmington. In my opinion there's more to do in October in addition to the beach, which might be nice if the weather is rainy. Wilmington has an active night life, tourist attractions range from the USS North Carolina (WW2 battleship), Fort Fisher (you can get a view of the Civil War from a southern perspective), nice beaches at nearby Kure Beach, Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach. Roam the historic district and a bunch of art galleries. Enjoy dining at ocean front Oceanic in Wrightsville Beach, or along the Cape Fear at the Pilot House, or hit some of the places locals enjoy.

Take a ferry from Ft. Fisher to Southport and wander about this small relaxed southern community. Visit a plantation. And if you're golfers there are some good courses.