Mid-Atlantic Beach Vacation Ideas for October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came across this forum yesterday and have appreciated reading through some of the threads. Good stuff!

What's a good beach vacation spot for October? We are interested in the mid-Atlantic region from Cape Cod down to the Outer Banks. My wife and I will be driving from central PA.

We've looked at Cape Cod but are concerned about temperatures in mid-October (10/11 - 10/22).

Water temperature is not a major concern for us. We're mostly interested in relaxing, walking the beach, with some attractions, but not an overly touristy area.

We were at the Outer Banks last October and it was awesome. We wouldn't mind going back, but might like to go somewhere different this year.

We've also been looking at Chincoteague, but we'd like easier access to the beach (oceanside), especially in terms of lodging. We've never been there so correct me if I'm wrong.

Other ideas or thoughts on a good beach vacation for mid-October? Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I would suggest Topsail Island, NC for a relaxing and non-touristy vacation. We went in mid-October and it was gorgeous; water was warm too. Wilmington is only about 45 min to 1 hour away and is a great day trip.

Course I never tire of the Banks, so I would be tempted to return there, especially since I've never visited during October.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:14 AM

If you would like some really nice, diverse restaurants to go with your beach vacation, you might want to look at Rehoboth Beach in DE.

If you are looking to rent a beautiful house, you might even find some good deals on the beach in nearby Bethany Beach.

We spend a lot of weekends in that area all year round, and Oct can be gorgeous. Can't ever be sure about the weather anywhere, though!

Dorothy
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:19 AM

The Lewes/Rehoboth area is hard to beat in October. And from Lewes, you can catch the ferry over to Cape May for a day-trip...
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Have you considered the Jersey Shore (specifically Cape May or the Stone Harbor/Avalon area)? It is beautiful in October and it's a straight shot across PA for you!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas, already. We'll definitely look into all the ideas suggested here.

One additional note: we are interested in renting a a house for a week or so, but would be willing to stay at a nice condo/resort type place. And obviously we want to find the best deals we can. Thanks again!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:56 AM

If you're leaning towards Cape May, you might enjoy a B&B (not my thing but others love it). As for Stone Harbor/Avalon, the realtors there work year round and rentals should be easy to come by in October. 2 agencies that come to mind are Century 21 and Diller & Fisher. Hope this helps a little.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I'm also from central PA in your position but with a relative on the NJ shore that we visit too much. We have found that we like the beaches better the further south we go especially after the vacationers depart.We try to alternate for a week every 6 months between Myrtle Beach & Hilton Head.We have found that a few extra hours on Rte. 95 is worth the pain. USAir just started GoFares to MB & Savannah from Phila.MB has tremendous value condos on the beach in Oct.HHI is a little harder to find resonable accomodations for 2 but Fodorites can easily get you started.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Some of you have mentioned Rehoboth. That's a possibility. My wife's family use to go there when she was young.

What are the temps like in Rehoboth in mid-Oct? What about Cape Cod or Cape May? We don't really need something warm, but we don't necessarily want to wear winter coats, either.

Thanks! Of course, other ideas (or even reviews) are welcome.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM

You won't need winter coats in CM or Rehobeth until Thanksgiving, at the earliest!Fall is generally warmer than the spring because the water stays a little warmer than the air.Not many condo options in CM, but consider the earlier Stone Harbor/Avalon suggestion.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Type "Cape Cod and October" in the search this forum box (no quote marks)then hit Go. This will return previous posts including yours with these keywords.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gene. That's helpful!

I had done a search for "beach" and "Chincoteague," which was the original interest. I expanded my query in this thread however.

So, I may have more questions after searching the forums again. Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:40 AM

If you decide to go to the Outer Banks, my husband and I have a small condo there that is available for rental in October. www.islader6.com
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM

Martha's Vineyard and Cape Cod will be gorgeous then - the weather should be crisp and pleasant. Also, prices will be considerably cheaper. Vacation Rentals By Owner (www.vrbo.com) is a good source of house rentals, whereever you end up going.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Topsail Island is a good choice. I vacationed there in October, a few weeks before the election. The weather was sunny most of the time but for a cold front that left us the first night and another that gave us one bad day of whether mid-week. Temperature was in the low eighties the rest of the time and the ocean temperature still was 70 degrees. I plan to go with my family this dreary election year as well so as to once again relieve myself from the ugly election buzz.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM

My family & I have been to Chincoteague about 5 or 6 times and we love it there! The beach is easy to get to...not sure why you don't think it would be. You just drive over the causeway to Assateague. We always stayed at the Waterside Motor Inn, right on Chincoteague Channel. The beach is beautiful, there are good walking and biking trails, and we always saw the ponies. Good seafood restaurants & some cute stores. We always went in the summer but a friend of mine went in November one year and really enjoyed it. I think there are boating tours on Chincoteague, too.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:44 AM
GoTravel

North Carolina isn't really considered Mid-Atlantic but South Atlantic.

That said, the South Carolina beaches are a wonderful bargain. Still warm ocean temp and the air would be mid 80s with low humidity.

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM

In response to Shane's post about Topsail Island... my family is heading down to Topsail also the week before the election... any recommendations for activities or restaurants? Its our first time visting.
Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I vote for Delaware since it is not so far away. It is not expensive. I like the small town of Lewes, first town in the first state. It has some amazing old homes, http://www.lewes.com/home.html. I also like to eat at the Big Fish Grill on route one, it is a local restaurant with amazing food, people line up. Tax free shopping is also good.