LAGUNA BEACH (Cal.) nice in OCTOBER?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My niece from Italy is visiting us for the first time in the U.S. in October. Would that be a good time to go to Laguna Beach? Will many galleries, etc., still be open at that time?

What about the temp?

Thanks, Fodorites!!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Very nice time to go. Beginning of month will still be hot, the end, much cooler.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:08 AM

October is a wonderful time to visit Laguna. Much of the tourist rush of summer has departed so the locals have the town back, the traffic is much better than in summer, as are the waits at the various dining spots. for the most part, the galleries are year-around businesses so Laguna does not close for "the season" as some other tourist areas do.

As another poster mentioned, October, especially early October, can be very hot in southern California, however, that is not usually a major problem along the beaches. When I lived in the area, I worked about ten miles from the ocean and lived about five miles from it. As you went inland during the hot season, there was usually about a degree per mile difference in temperature, getting hotter as you wnet further inland. When it 90 degrees in Mission Viejo, it was usually about 75-80 degrees in Laguna.

I hope you and your niece have a wonderful visit.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, frankie and don. Then October sounds like an IDEAL time to go!

If you have any other advice about parts to explore, where to park, etc., give me a shout.

With much appreciation,
Betty
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Laguna is more compact than most southern California cities and it is certainly possible to walk to visit the various galleries but it will be a fairly long walk. They are strung out for about a mile along Pacific Coast Hwy and a block or so on either side. In addition, Forest Avenue, just south of Main Beach goes inland 4-5 blocks from PCH and there are a number of galleries as well as dining spots along it. The city provides a number of fairly well marked parking lots in various areas and, at that time of the year, it is not impossible to find curb parking also.

Main Beach is in the center of town where PCH and Laguna Canyon Road intersect. It's a good place to take off your shoes and have a nice walk in the sand along the beach. There are also usually a couple of pickup basketball games on the courts at Main Beach to provide eye candy for your niece.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Be sure to eat at Cafe Zoolu - awesome food. Small and quirky place so you need a reservation.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sun and Don... I often hear people mentioning all the coves at the beaches. Are they at Main Beach or are they spread out all over?

P.S. Where is that great, authentic, low-key Mexican place where everyone keeps mentioning?

Cheers,
Betty