Reload this Page >

Surf Lessons on Maui

Search

Surf Lessons on Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:03 AM
dingofox

Surf Lessons on Maui

My wife & I are travelling to Maui in two weeks, and I am on a mission to learn how to surf.

We're staying in Wailea for a week, and I would like to take private lessons.

Can anybody recommend a great instructor?

Also...any beach suggestions for beginner surfing would be welcome. I should probably avoid Jaws, eh?

Thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.mauisurf.com has some good information
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM

I have read that Goofy Foot in Lahaina is a good bet. We didnt' have time to take lessons while on Maui but I took a lesson on Kauai. I had a graet time!

have fun!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:53 PM

Hey bogart, who did you take the surfing lessons from? Also, did you do the lessons on the N.shore or Poipu?

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:05 PM

Aloha Corgie!

I really wanted to take them from Hanalei Surf Company (rec from friends) but they were booked solid so at the last minute I signed up at our hotel - Princeville. It ended up being a private lesson and it was great! He took me to a part of the beach on Hanalei Bay where it was totally sand bottom so no sharp coral worries. I had the best time! My husband was golfing at the time and couldn't believe I did it. I digress...

I did see a few surfers on Poipu in front of the Sheraton...didn't look like lessons though, just people who had or rented boards. I'm sure there are lessons offered somewhere on the south shore if that is where you are staying...but I really liked Hanalei Bay.

have fun!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:22 PM

Call Hawaiian Safari. 808 661 5516. Those girls know everything and they are sweethearts. Wendy
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 09:18 PM
dingofox

Thanks for the info...especially the Maui info.

BTW...on Kauai (Hanalei)...Russel Lewis is supposed to be the main dude for lessons. You can hook up with him at the Hanalei Surf Co.

Does anyone have a specific instructor that they liked on MAUI?

Also...are the waves in Kihei adequate for beginners? Most companies run out of Lahaina...but I'd rather stay closer to Wailea.

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Sorry dingofox I didn't mean to take over your thread. When I was on Maui I never took surf lessons (I should have) but, regarding Wailea area beaches: I did go out to Makena beach (just outside of Keihi which is a nice stretch of beach when I was there the first time tide was coming in, I think, so there were some good beginner waves and lots of locals surfing. The second time it was a bit more mellow and more boogie boarding. I also hit the beach right in Keihi (Kam 3 maybe??) I don't know, I get them all confused...but that was more for boogie boarding. There is another beach, and I can't remember what it is called but it is near sugar beach resort. We spent time there watching the locals tear it up. Good times.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I met a really nice instructor on Maui...but didn't surf with him. His name was Spike and his company is called Surf Dog (may have a website). We had pulled over one afternoon to watch the surfers at one of the beaches just south of Lahaina and that's where we met him and his adorable little dog. He seemed to have a lot of happy customers..we considered giving him a call on our last day but ran out of time...