Search

Kachina or El Tovar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kachina or El Tovar

We have a canyon side room on the second floor but I keep trying to get a room at the El Tovar because of what I have read here. The staff at Xanterra tells me that I already have one of the best views and that unless one of the 3 suites with a view at El Tovar opens up, I should stay where I am at. They have also said that the rooms in the two places are basically the same. We need a room with 2 beds, so our choices are limited at the El Tovar. Does anyone know if the rooms themselves are nicer at the El Tovar.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:01 AM

We stayed at El Tovar a few years ago. It is purportedly the "best" hotel in the Canyon. But it's far from luxurious, a lot of wood, no a/c and a very good restaurant where you need to make reservations weeks out.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:09 AM

We stayed there last summer in a lovely room with 2Q and a nice sized porch shared ONLY with the room next door. It was NOT a suite, but we DID have a view of the canyon from the side of the porch.....and a view of the parking lot straight ahead. It was still very nice, especially for our morning coffee.

Can't remember the rate but it must have been reasonable or i wouldn't have booked it!

Ask for it .... Good luck!
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM

i'm referring to El Tovar, NOT Kachina, by the way.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:48 AM
OliveOyl

ttt

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM

These hotels are right next to each other. Kachina doesn't even have a lobby or restaurant so you can dine and sit around the lobby at El Tovar (or Bright Angel, also right there) even if you sleep in Kachina.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM

I've always stayed at Kachina or Thunderbird because I've never been able to get a spot at the El Tovar. After several visits, I have to say that it no longer matters much to me. I love old, historic hotels, so I guess I'd still snap up an El Tovar room. But, both Kachina and Thunderbird share the great rimside location and the facilities have been just fine. It's true that they don't have restaurants or lobbies, but restaurants are right next door and who's going to spend time hanging out in a lobby when they're at the Grand Canyon?