Search

El Tovar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:00 PM
Toni

El Tovar

Is there ever a chance on getting a room at this hotel? Which is the best room to stay in to see the majesty of the Grand Canyon at sunrise and sunset? Is it really the best hotel to stay at, or would another be fine?
Also, can anyone tell me about the donkey rides in the Canyon? Thanks.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:53 AM
don

Stayed at the El Tovar back in April in one of the suites with a balcony that overlooked the Grand Canyon. I had made the reservation almost a full year in advance, as these rooms tend to go very far in advance. The other rooms in the hotel don't go quite as fast. The suite was very nice, it consisted of a living room and a bedroom, but was by no means anything spectacular or luxurios especially for $300 a night. The view from the large deck we had, however, was spectacular, though a lot of clouds at both sunrise and sunset took a lot away from the majesty of it all. El Tovar is a very nice hotel, and looked much nicer than the other properties there in the park. I would suggest however just getting a regular room and walking outside for sunrise and sunset. You can even take the shuttle to certain points that are supposed to be best for these views. But by all means make reservations at the restaurant there at El Tovar. It was very good, and without reservations, if you can get a seating, it will probably be late.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:14 AM
ellyn

We stayed there last summer in a standard room (2 Q) for $185, booking about 6-8 months in advance. It included a shared balcony with only ONE other room, and was a side-view of the canyon(not front). We overlooked part of the parking lot and other buildings BUT we could also see the canyon, too by simply turning our patio chairs that way!

Just down the hall in our second-floor landing / lobby, morning coffee and tea were available. Both mornings, Sparky and I had coffee on the balcony while waiting for russ and audrey to wake up, enjoying both the canyon view and people watching.

Breakfast was incredible, try the eggs benedict florentine! Try to get one of the few tables by the window for a DIRECT front canyon view. We were fortunate to get one for breakfast and delighted to see a sweet lost doe wander by!

El Tovar is by far the most elegant Nat'l Park Inn we've stayed in. (altho i LOVED Old Faithful Inn!!!) Enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Andre

Toni,

Hmmm... here's a post I made a few months ago after returning from AZ:

-------------------------

Author: Andre ([email protected])
Date: 04/08/2002, 06:34 pm

Stayed at the El Tovar less than a month ago and it was a real disappointment! "Deluxe" room at 180$ was dirty and generically furnished. The mouse in the dining room didn't really add a much needed touch of class. This is not Ritz/4S territory...

I would try the Bright Angel or one of the other adjacent lodges (Kachina?) on a future stay.

That said, GC is FANTASTIC, especially in early spring. If you have the time, spend a night at Monument Valley - awesome. Stay at Gouldings (clean motel right in the valley with great views).

Andre

---------------------------------------

Also, the other lodges adjacent to El Tovar seemed to have more canyon view rooms.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Dave

Several years ago we stayed at El Tovar for a week in the first floor suite next to the canyon. (There were 2 on the first floor.) There was a huge bedroom, living room, and deck. It was magnificent and a lifetime memory. I don't remember how much it cost, but if you can afford it, go for it. We made the reservations 8 months in advance.

We also made reservations for the mule ride down the canyon at the same time. It was the most exciting trip you can ever take since it boils down to you and the mule on the narrow trail with one side looking down into eternity. It has to be experienced to be believed.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:08 AM
x

there is nothing wrong w/the Kacina,Thunderbird,or Bright Angel lodging right on the rim proper..I think the El Tovar is over-rated...dinning at the Bright Angel and Steakhouse is just fine..there is also the Bright Angel Lounge...MULE rides are usually made a year to 2 in advance but there coud be cancelations ..so check on mule and lodging resevations...ck amfac.com--it will take you to xanterra.com--which is the NEW reservation website....call and see if yuo can gets reservations to all...mule rides can be 1/2,1 or 2 day......