Please tell me about Tyler, TX

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Francine

Please tell me about Tyler, TX

I'll be in Tyler this summer, could be permanently, and was hoping some of you would tell me what it's like. How hot? Humid? Scenery? Are there a lot of job opportunities or is Tyler a small, middle of nowhere town? Shopping malls? Are there four distinct seasons? Any information would be great! Thank you!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:15 PM
mibjk

After reading everything you have concerns about I would not recommend Tyler.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Connie

I've lived near Tyler, TX all my life. My daughter was born there so I might be prejudiced.

Tyler is one of the prettiest cities in Texas. It's large enough to have a mall, restaurants, hospitals, etc but small enough to be friendly.

The eastern side of Texas is very rich in trees, shrubs and flowers. In the spring they have a spring celebration called the azalea trail. Thousands of azalea bushes all over the city are in bloom--just beautiful. Tyler is also known as the rose capital of the world because more roses are grown and exported from here than anywhere else.

Tyler has a lot of wealth from the oil and gas boom years. The people are very culturally minded. There are many, old beautiful homes.

It reminds me of cities in the deep south (like Natchez) instead of the western personality of other Texas towns.

Just like anywhere else in the south, it gets hot and humid in the summer. There are four distinct seasons and in Tyler, they are all beautiful.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:36 PM
wintertraveler

Tyler also struck me as a very gracious old southern style town. I only visited once briefly but awoke to a light late-autumn snow that was wonderful. The Tyler State Park was nice with some hills and deep woods. The Tyler Rose Garden is big deal there. Also, the homes are really wonderful and the people were very friendly. All in all, for a small town it was pretty nice.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Nessie

Tyler is great! I grew up there and still go home frequently to visit family.

Yes, there is a mall. With all the name brands of any other mall. Many restaurants.

One of the most beautiful cities in East Texas. The Azalea Trails, Famous Rose Garden and beautiful trees around the city. Please note the red brick streets that are still used in the downtown area.

Weather very similar to the Dallas area.

Great place to raise a family. Very church oriented city. A church of your denomination can be found numerous places. Active singles group too! You may want to visit Green Acres Baptist - one of the largest in town. Great place to meet people getting started in a new location.

Jobs are available but the pay scale is lower that in the Dallas area for same job.

It really is not in the middle of nowhere -- you can go to Dallas within 1 1/2 hour. Very accessible to other cities around.

Think you will love it!!!

Good luck!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Francine

Thanks for all the info! It sounds like a wonderful town.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:12 PM
sister

I love Tyler! Very scenic(hills and lots of pine trees...) Very gracious southern people. Tyler has a Junior College and also UT_Tyler if you want to finish your 4-year.

It is NOT in the middle of no-where. One shopping mall--nope..summer/fall are the only two seasons there. Humid? A little. Not as bad as the midwest humidity. Hot? Yep.
As the previous poster said, pay scale is not that great when compared to Dallas. Not much industry in Tyler either. You will find the people in Tyler to be friendly. It has a good running and biking community also.

Have some bbq at the Country Tavern (between Kilgore and Tyler).

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Francine

Sister - Thanks for all the answers! I'm looking forward to being there. Only two seasons? Sounds too good to be true!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:24 PM
x

Just a word of caution. Not to take away from any of the other postings. Tyler certainly has a lot going for it, but just be aware that it is very much a part of the bible belt, and the people for the most part are only friendly if they consider you one of their kind. In other words, diversity is considered a dirty word.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Connie

Excuse me but I am very proud to be from the Bible belt. The term Bible belt is not a "dirty word".

The south doesn't have a corner on prejudiced people. The most prejudiced person I know is from the north.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Reading

Er, Connie, do you proud folk from the Bible belt even know how to read?

Please show me where X ever said that the Bible belt is a "dirty word?" The actual sentence stated "In other words, DIVERSITY is considered a dirty word."

But it's real interesting the way you jumped to defend an imagined slight. Oh well, I guess it's true that illiteracy runs rampant in your neck of the woods. But don't you go worrying your pure little ole moral soul about it. You can go back to thumping that Bible now.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Debra

Doesn't take much to see who has a miserable life.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Donald

I grew up in Tyler and now live in California. If you are looking for a great spot to live and raise kids, Tyler is it. Beautiful town, great housing prices and good honest people. The weather ain't great in the summer but the rest of the year is fine. If you need big city stuff Dallas is close and Houston is not that far either. Enjoy your trip. This town is a jewell.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
yes

"Diversity" is a dirty word!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:43 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Donald

Just saw this little bit on DIVERSITY and prejudice. Having lived in Texas and Michigan as well as California I can say that Michigan is far more prejudice than any part of Texas. Texas and the south has the reputation....Michigan silently lives up to that reputation. Just live there and you will soon see what I mean.