Notices

Maui or Kauai???

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or Kauai???

After 4 nights in Oahu in March, we had thought about Maui. We love doing all kinds of things and are not wanting to spend every minute on the beach & my hsuband says he won't snorkel, but I'm betting he WILL! After reading MANY posts, we would like to do a small survey, so.... Maui or Kauai? Please let us have your votes. Which offers the most for 3 nights? Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:12 PM

I am biased towards Kauai, although, I have never been to Maui and would definitely like to go sometime!
We have done Kauai 2 times and you probably won't be able to do it all in 3 days. It is very lush and beautiful. I recommend staying on the north shore if you will only be there 3 nights because that is the prettiest area in my opinion. There is plenty of hiking, snorkeling, waterfalls, etc to see. The beaches are all beautiful. If I had a choice I would do Maui and Kauai instead of Oahu.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Well, I would say Maui might be best for you two because there are plenty of non-beachy things for you to do - shopping in Lahaina, whale watching, drive to Hana, hiking the Seven Sacred Pools, viewing Haleakala etc.

I personally enjoyed Kauai more but it was because of the beaches and the snorkel trip along the Na Pali coast.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Just got back from both islands and would recommend Maui hands down for more activity... you could also take a day trip to Kauai for an excellent helicopter tour of the island... Kauai is perfect for the Hiker,biker, nature lover, whereas Maui has that plus variety... have fun!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Depends on what you want to do cakelady.

Kauai is a more scenic place in IMO. More natural, lush.

Maui is definitely much more developed. Lot's of "touristy" stuff.

From your description of what you are looking for, I think you may prefer Maui. Sounds like Kauai may be a bit too quite for your husband.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 10:20 PM

We love Kaua'i over all the other islands and we have been to most of them. There is plenty to do on this lush green island. Golf, hiking Na Pali or the canyon, kayak, bike riding, windsurf, horse back riding, swimming, surfing,
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Kaua`i is pretty, has great beaches, and friendly locals but there is no nightlife, more rain than Maui, Maui has better restaurants and Kaua`i has only two true mega-resorts (Hyatt and Princeville).
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:46 AM

i think of it this way: if Maui and Kauai were sisters, Maui would be the fun loving "party girl" and Kauai would be the quiet beautiful one. both guarantee a memorable vacation. the "dilemma" of choosing between the islands of Hawaii is my favorite dilemma to be "burdened with"!! for me it's like saying, what should i have for dessert? that big slice of chocolate cake or that hot fudge sundae loaded with whipped cream?
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM

stellaluna,
How eloquent! I've never heard it explained so well.
-Bill
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 09:12 AM
bonniebroad

Before I answer, Cakelady, I'd like to know where you stayed and what you did on Oahu. I presume you had a great experience as you want to go back to the Islands. Would you like to have that same kind of experience or do something a little different?

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Bonnie,
I was there in 1984 with my sister and her husband. We just had one night in Honolulu before flying to the big island for their Hobie Cat Dealers' meetings/convention. I met a nice gal on the plane from Idaho that had moved to Honolulu a year before, so she offered to take us around that evening. My sis had a different flight, so they were waiting for us with the car. She took us to the market place or whatever it was, we watched the lighting of the torches, had dinner then went to a bar that was open and out over the beach (wish I could remember the name of it, but I'm sure there are many). The next a.m., we went to Pearl Harbor but didn't have time to go out to the ship, just toured the museum, drove past the football "bowl" and to the airport. We were on Hawaii 4 days for the meetings, I just lounged around, then we went to Maui for 3 nights. We stayed in Waialea & spent one day snorkeling there, then we discovered Lahaina and my brother-in-law loved it, so we spent 2 days there and one day drove as far north as we could. No time to do the south part of Maui, although I wanted to, but I was at their mercy... they paid for the car!
As for those who said to skip O'ahu, we can't. The only reason for our trip is because we won the trip to O'ahu and we are commmitted to spending 5 days/4 nights at the Outrigger Reef on Waikiki. We will spend 4 nights in San Diego before going to O'ahu, so after that much time, we decided what the heck, we might as well take 3 more days and do at least one more island. So that's what we are trying to decide. The only reason I would consider going back to Maui and not seeing someplace new is becuase I am married now and my husband has not been to any of the islands. I did finally break down and buy 2 excellent books on Maui & Kauai, which are loaded with info and I'm studying them, listing all of our options. I still have a few months to decide and get final reservations made, but for all of you who responded... your information has been helpful and appreciated. Thanks.
TO STELLALUNA: I loved your comparison.. sounds like me & my sis, I'm Maui, she's Kauai. But your idea gives a great overview in just a few words. Well put...
Alana