Suggestions Needed re: July trip to NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be heading to NYC from Chicago leaving on Sunday, July 23 and returning on Wendesday, July 26. My husband will be there on business and I'll be going with as a nice break from our 3 year old. I grew up on the East Coast, but have not been back to NYC in almost 18 years(too long!!!). We live in Chicago and are very comfortable with public transportation and plan on using the subway in NYC. So far, here is what our trip looks like-any comments/suggestions from NYC natives and travelers are welcome-Thanks in advance- Gretchen

Hotel: The Lucerne on the Upper West Side

Dining: Have not made reservations yet-Was thinking for dinner: Nonna, The River Cafe, and Aix

Tours: I know it's a little "cheesy", but I'm thinking of doing the Sex and the City tour, Also planning on a Big Apple Greeter to get to know Greenwich Village

Must Sees: Ground Zero, MOMA, Exploring Neighborhoods(was thinking of SoHo, Greenwich Village)

Would love post-dinner suggestions for jazz clubs or a great bar for an after-dinner drink. Again, thnks for suggestions-we're looking forward to exploring your city.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Nonna and AIX are both good restaurant choices. Nice Matin is right below your hotel and also a great spot for brunch or dinner. You need to call way in advance for reservations at the River Cafe, and it will be fabulous.
The Sex and the City tour is totally cheesy, but why not? When my parents were in town, we went on a Big Onion Greenwich Village tour, and it worked out very well.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Lizziea-
Thanks for your response-Would you suggest that I make all reservations now or wait until 1 month prior to our trip? Have a great day!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM

I'm not sure if you can make reservations now. Typically you have to wait until 30 days from the day you want to go. I would call and ask what there reservation policy entails. Good luck!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
TKT

For Jazz there are two clubs I enjoy in mid-town near Times Sq. The Iridium
and Birdland. Both serve meals if you want to eat there. The both have high covers.

I have heard some of the best jazz at the Village Vanguard in West Village.

My experience is that the Vanguard is always crowded, Birdland and Iridium not as much.

Check the scehdule on-line for any place before you go.

You never know how crowded MOMA will be, I would reserve tix ahead of time.
I believe it is free on Fridays after 4.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Jazz suggestions TKT. Lizziea-will do as you suggest re: reservations. Gretchen
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Dizzy's Coca Cola (for jazz) is closer to your hotel and has a view. Their cover charges are high though. Here's a good website for jazz club listings.
http://bigapplejazz.com/uppereastandwest.html
Cleopatra's Needle could also be good.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:43 PM
amaclise

I'm a former New Yorker Chicagoan too. Try The Spotted Pig in Greenwich Village for lunch if it works out for you. It is a well reviewed "gastro pub" on West 11th Street, right near the White Horse Tavern.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mclaurie and amaclise-
I'll try both of your suggestions-
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM

The village would be your best spot for clubs jazz or blues. The Blue note cafe is one.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:27 AM

If you want to spend more time in Greenwich Village, book the food tour, foodsofny.com. We did it last month and loved it. Do it around lunch time. There's plenty of good food to sample and a lot of information on the history of the neighborhood.