Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations for great meals in NYC with children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've visited NYC often, even lived there briefly in the 80s, but our last visit was 5 years ago. This time we are taking our daughters age 11 and 12. Both are adventurous eaters. We like to go to restaurants that are not like those we find at home in Europe; we get enough Italian and French food here.
I'm thinking about booking either lunches or dinners at these restaurants;
BLT Steak
Union Square Cafe
Gotham Bar and Grill
Spice Market
davidburke & donatella
Any comments? Are there any others that you could recommend? We'll be there for 5 days in April.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

And also Rosa Mexicano, on First Ave.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:46 AM

Grammercy Tavern.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:31 AM

You mentioned some very good places and all are worthwhile. Just be aware that all of them are VERY popular and will require reservations in some cases weeks ahead of time. (If you're willing to go early, like 6 or late, after 10, reservations are usually easier to obtain.)

I might also recommend Zarela's for Mexican and the previosly mentioned Rosa Mexicana. There is also a very good Pan-Latino restaurant called Calle Ocho on Columbus and 83rd (or near there) that's very good.

If you really want adventurous, you might want to try WD 50, on the lower East Side. I dined there recently and it would certainly qualify as one of the more interesting spots in NYC. It's very popular but I'd suggest you find a review on-line as it may be too adventurous for some.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:38 AM

A great list of really fine restaurants, all of which you should enjoy.

Meanwhile, one line of yours pops out at me:
"We like to go to restaurants that are not like those we find at home in Europe."

Have a cheap lunch at Virgil's BarBQ near Times Square. I assure you don't have that in Europe. My Brit friends
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:40 AM

OOOPS.

My Brit friends I sent liked it so much, they went back three times while they were here.

It's not in the same class as the others, but surely you won't be doing fine dining three times a day?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! My husband wants to have a big lunch and dinner every day, but I'm not sure the girls and me are up to that! I wouldn't fit into the clothes that I am planning to buy there then.
We'll be staying at the St Regis. I assume it will be best if I let the concierge there make the restaurant reservations?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:22 AM

WD-50 is excellent; I second the suggestion.

How about trying a Cuban restaurant? Havana Central on 17th Street near Union Square is fun, as are Havana Village in the West Village and Son Cubano on 14th Street.

Welcome Back to NYC!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
BAK

Tennessee Mountain House in Soho is very non-European, and has genuine American food that is non very European, either. Not fancy, but full of real New York familieis.

And America, a restaurant with, obviously, and American theme. I've been there with kids, who loved it.

And I like the Oyster BAr at Grand Central Station. FAncier than the other two above, but again, very American.

And how about a genuine new York steak house? (maybe that's covered by BLT Steak -- don't know it)Big portions, waiters who are characters, families and business execs and other prosperous people digging in to dinner, rather than picking at tiny pieces of goats eyesballs in squid ink, like int he trendy places.

BAK

BAK
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. We are going to have to extend our stay, or else come back soon.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

I ate recently at Gotham and found the service to be very good, but personable and not stuffy. Assuming your daughters enjoy fancy restaurants, this one might be a good choice.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:22 AM

My 16 year old niece and I just returned from NYC. Everyone recommends Serendipity for kids and I agree. I was, however, not prepared for the THREE HOUR wait. We put our name in with the front desk and went off looking for things to occupy our time. We ended up just a short distance away at Cabana Nuevo Latino, a caribbean restaurant. It was a lot of fun and the food was absolutely great. She had Ropa Vieja (which means "old clothes"), shredded beef with black beans and rice. I had a very flavorful paella. Two hours later we sauntered back over to Serendipity for dessert. We still waited about 30 minutes, but it was worth it! By the way in the same area
was a kid's fantasy candy store called Dylan's Candy Bar.

Just another suggestion: my niece went ballistic over the H&M store on Fifth Avenue. It had a great vibe, very cool teen clothing, and the prices were reasonable. I turned her loose and went across the street to check out St. Patrick's Cathedral.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=4590

http://www.serendipity3.com/

http://www.dylanscandybar.com/

http://www.ny.com/shopping/clothes/hm.html

By the way, all these are within easy walking distance of the St. Regis. Have fun!
Maggi
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
AES

The only ones I have been to are Union Square & Rosa Mexicano (very traditional Mexican - there's a note on the menu saying "don't ask for tacos"). Both would be fine for them and I would definitely get in touch with the concierge at least a few weeks in advance. Union Square is one of the most popular places in the city!

Also, not sure what the seafood availability for you is at home, but I've been to Blue Water Grill a few times and found it to be fairly reliable. Despite Mesa Grill's "TV fame," that's been decent Southwestern food in my experience if you're looking for that.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Maggi, Serendipity is on their list (I make 'frozen hot chocolate' in summer) but the wait turned me off. We'll try putting our name down.
Thanks for the shopping tips too; the girls are looking forward to shopping in NYC (The Gap is a favorite, and we don't have that in Belgium where I live).
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
mp

Tulips, what a great list - althoughn recently a friend went to Davidburke and donatella and was very unimpressed. As the mother of a very adventurous 10 year old boy, I can recommend all you've mentioned and add a few: Omen in Soho for Japanese noodles; Dim Sum Au Go Go on East Broadway in Chinatown; Shun Lee and Shun Lee Cafe near Lincoln Center; Moustache in the West Village for middle eastern; Snack Taverna for Greek; Nobu Next Door (go at opening time) for Japanese fusion. All these restaurants are quite happy to see well-behaved, adventurous eating kids . . . and kids love them too!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM

All suggestions are great and I really don't have any to add other than the fact that Spice Market really isn't for kids -- even though they sound like they have dined out frequently, IMO not the right kind of atmosphere.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:32 AM

Don't go near california taco!I'm from Louisiana,had never been to NYC,asked the driver to go to the mcdonalds drive thru,got the craziest look ever!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

Jekler -- what are you talking about?