Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

"Big Apple Greeters" for Mom and girls trip NYC

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used this service? We are spending 4 jam packed I'm sure days in NYC and womdered if this would be a good guide to the first day or 2 as far as using the subway, getting around, etc. Does anyone have positive or negative experience?
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Big Apple Greeters is a group of unpaid volunteers that will show you a specific part of the city with which they're familiar. Typically they spend 3 hours or so with you - and will help you learn how to get around yourself as well as answering any specific questions. (Sometimes they have more time to give, sometimes not - it depends on their schedules - and how much they enjoy spending time with people they are "greeting".)

You can;t book them for days at a time - since there are many more requests than there are greeters. And if you do want one you should make a request as soon as possible so they can try to match you with someone who knows the area you're interested in.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I've heard this is a great service, but a greeter was not available for us despite our putting in a request months in advance. I would request one but have alternate plans ( we didn't find out that we wouldn't have a greeter until we arrived.)

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I was matched with a Greeter who knew absolutely nothing about the neighborhood we went to, which I didn't find out until after we got there (she picked me up at my hotel). If I had known in advance, I would have gladly toured her own neighborhood (Upper East Side) rather than the one that we ended up exploring together (Greenwich Village). I even ended up choosing the place where we had lunch! I had so hoped to eat at a little neighborly place. And I couldn't shake her, she was old and lonely and finally I had to just admit that I had dinner plans. That's the way it goes with volunteer organizations; keep the communications open.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I was in NYC with my husband 2 years ago, but I don't know the city well and admit to being a little apprehensive. I am now thinking about shopping on the first day,taking a tour the second day (plus we have reservations for dinner and Rent tickets),and letting them pick where to go and what to do on the third day. My 16 yr old balked a bit about the tour, but trying to see a lot in a short time is pretty tough on your own. So far, I'm leaning toward the nycpartyexpress. I thought one of those "greeters" might help us in an area like Chinatown, where they will want to shop and eat. Maybe I won't need it after all.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I used a 'greeter' about a year and half a go. When I filled out the request for area, I chose 'greeters choice'. He picked his neighborhood, Brooklyn Heights. It was really a great tour, he showed us old homes, new homes and a church that normally we would not have had access to as tourists, and he knew A LOT about his 'hood! We took a stroll across the bridge, something else we probably would not have done without the greeter. It was a real highlight of our 4 day stay.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Some Greeters know a lot of parts of the city - some only a few. If you want a specific area - then make that a strong request - and they may or may not be ble to help you.

(Most of these people are retired - or at least semi- and do it for amusement. So, in terms of how muchtime/effort they're willing to give they're judging you as you judge them.

I have a friend who does this sometimes since he likes meting new people from all over - and has even kep in contact with and visited with a couple when in their part of the world. But, while he says most guests are charming, there have been a couple of times when the tour was VERY short - due to the attitudes of the "guests".