Suggestions for our Long Weekend Getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are all set- we have childcare for four days, three nights. We have frequent flyer miles out the ying yang. And we have Hilton, Marriott, and a couple of other chain points. My husband is on and off of planes for a living, and now we can't decide where to go on our long weekend alone!
We are going in late April. We live in North Carolina. What do you think? Florida? Keys? Out West? San Antonio? Phoenix? San Diego? Please put some good ideas out there to get us planning!
Other useful info: by then I'll be almost 6 months pregnant, and we don't want to leave the US.
Thanks for all of your inspiring ideas!
Laura
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM
GoTravel

Honestly with such a short time frame, I'd skip the west coast. I've flown from Charleston to California and Arizona for three nighters on business and the return jet lag kicked my butt.

I think Key West would be a lot of fun. If you want to use points, what about Sunset Key which is an island off Key West? You are a short two minute ferry ride to Key West but outside the noise and partiers. Also, Sunset Key has the most exclusive of Keys amenities, a beach!

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, what a good suggestion! I'll investigate it...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:04 AM

If you are open to a non-beach location I would say go to New York City. You can get there from Raleigh-Durham in 1.5 hours non-stop. Stay at one of the Marriotts or Hiltons (or the Ritz Carlton, see below) and take in some Broadway shows, good restaurants, museums, a treatment at Bliss Spa. Late April is usually gorgeous spring weather. Take the circle line cruise around Manhattan, see the spring trees and flowers in Central Park. Of course, if you don't feel like walking a lot being 6 months pregnant, this may not be so attractive, but considering you can probably eat as much as you want now, maybe it is. . . .

FYI, the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park in lower Manhattan takes Marriott Reward points. A fantastic hotel with great views and a spa. Walking distance to Wall Street, South Street Seaport, the lovely Trinity Church, the huge discount store Century 21 and the former World Trade Center. Close by taxi to China Town.

Another place to consider is Washington DC for monuments, museums, restaurants and gorgeous spring weather as well.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- we did a long weekend in NYC in the Fall, and had a wonderful time. While I never tire of it, I think DC in April may be a better choice. We haven't spent any time there in a decade, and I really like that suggestion too. Thanks again!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM
annieladd

Have you been to Santa Fe, New Mexico? Hop a flight to Albequerque, then rent a car for a 45 minute drive to Santa Fe. The art, shopping, culture, and great food really makes for a superb long weekend. Staying somewhere on the square is best, but there's a Marriott Residence Inn not too far away that has also been enjoyable.