Florida Keys romantic weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im planning a surprise long weekend in the Keys in march for my boyfriend and am looking for a place to stay that has a beach and preferably bungalows. i live in manhattan so i dont need the key west nightlife, but am not sure if Islamorada is the right spot. Does anyone have advice about a key/great resort?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Sunset Keys is very nice. It is a Hilton property but on its own little island right off the coast of Key West. Beautiful places, great beach pool etc. and they have a shuttle to take you to Key west (takes about 10 minutes) I don't know how pricey it is, we stayed there when it first opened and got a great rate.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:24 PM

First of all, have you checked out flight schedules? We live in Arkansas, and it takes us virtually all day to fly down to Key West.

In Islamorada, the Moorings has bungalows. The website is themooringsvillage.com. We haven't stayed there, but stayed next door at the Cheeca Lodge and drove over. It's very nice, fairly secluded, and quiet. There's no restaurant on the property.

I hope you realize that the keys are not a beach destination. All beaches are man-made and most are tiny.

The above poster is right about the cottages at Sunset Key. They're not owned by the Hilton, but are operated by them, and the cottages are real nice. However, in Key West there are lots of nice places to stay and if I were you I'd prefer to be within walking distance of restaurants, etc. without waiting on the ferry.

In Key West if you would be satisfied with a place other than a bungalow, check out the Gardens Hotel, the Marquesa Hotel, or Simonton Court.

If you have money to burn, check out Little Palm Island! It runs about $1,000 a day, but apparently is worth it littlepalmisland.com
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM

i think I have a perfect recommendation for your getaway. I had it on my list for my husband and me for our 25th anniversay but alas this will not occur.

Look at Casa Morada. Everything I've heard about this place sounds heavenly. It's been created by some Ian Schrager escapees so it is chic, but it looks not to have that terminal hipness that I can not stand.

Try: http://www.casamorada.com

I still may go here by myself just taking my little Boston Terrier for some relaxing R&R.

LMF
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM

We just got back from a trip to the Keys and we came from New York. As itsy says, it is a long way to go for a long weekend. We went down thinking we would find the Caribbean closer to home and it isn't true. It is nice, though. Key West was OK (New Orleans is more romantic) Islamorada is small, pretty but were I to return I would try Little Palm Island. It looks beautiful.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Little Palm Island, Little Torch Key, is a fabulous romantic getaway, but it is very expensive and time consuming to get to. Also, March in the Keys may not be beach weather.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Mariasch - Why did you feel that the Keys were too far for a long weekend from NY? The drive from MIA airport?

We're thinking of going to Islamorada Key. Also considering just going to South Beach and not making the trip down to the keys. But the promise of snorkeling off the keys sounds pretty good.