Romantic stay in Keys but not Key West

Apr 16th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Matt

Romantic stay in Keys but not Key West

I'm looking to splurge and take a 5 day vaca in the Keys over Memorial Day w/ my girlfriend. We like romantic and "unspoiled" and not touristy/commercial. Can anyone recommend anything appropriate whether a place to stay, restaurant, experience, etc. We're looking for sun, surf, snokeling and just a whole lot of relaxing. Thanks! Matt

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:08 AM
J T Kirk

I guess you know the Keys aren't the traditional "beach" destination? Anyway, Cheeca Lodge or The Moorings in Islamorada come to mind. Very nice, upscale resorts. Both have very good restaurants.
Little Palm Island is perhaps THE nicest and quietest place to stay in the Keys. It is its own island (duh) and you have to take their boat (unless you have your own) from Little Torch Key to get there. Very good restaurant. But it is VERY quiet there, and it becomes a hassle getting to and from the island. But why not Key West? I'd highly recommend the Gardens or Marquessa as very nice, upscale places to stay. And you have many more restaurant choices in Key West. Have fun.

Apr 16th, 2002, 10:10 AM
susan

You might look into the Moorings in Islamorada. I've never stayed there but drove through a few years ago and it looks like a really nice place. It gets great reviews, too!! The website is themooringsvillage.com. Another option if money is absolutely NO object would be Little Palm Island, which is about $1,000 a day.

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Bruce

Bay Breeze Motel/Resort

Beautiful!!

Apr 27th, 2002, 12:18 PM
dumb

And how do you even try to compare a motel to Cheeca Lodge or Little Palm?

Apr 28th, 2002, 10:26 AM
flex

You won't find the surf you mention in the Keys. If you are looking for an affordable, quiet, romantic, close to good restaurants and out of the way place, try Kona Kai in Key Largo. Ronnie and Joe will take excellent care of you. Each room is different. Great pool and small beach area, kayaks to use in the Bay and hammocks under the palms. Snorkel there in the bay or go out to the reefs on dozens of different dive boats. Eat at Mrs. Mac's, The Fish House, Tugboat Restaurant, Wahoo's, Sundowners. Have drinks at the Caribbean Club at sundown. Part of the movie Key Largo was shot there. Drive twenty minutes south to Islamorada for more great restaurants and shops. Relax and enjoy.

Apr 29th, 2002, 02:04 AM
leigh

My husband and I stayed in Key Largo on our honeymoon at the Mariott. We had a room on the third floor looking out towards the water, our room was immaculate and very roomy. I loved the bed, it was a huge california king with soft sheets and pillows. We were there over 5 days and never saw anyone in the rooms near ours and it was very quiet everywhere we went. The hotel restraunt had pretty decent food and Sundowners is just around the corner, great seafood for a good price! They don't have a great beach but pool isnt too bad. They also had a bunch of hammocks out by the water that were very romantic at night. They have water sports to do during the day and their dive shop is pretty good, very nice guys on the boat we took to snorkel. It is very close to Bahia Hondo ( i think that is the right park). We rented a convertible eclipse, most beautiful drive down to Key West!!!

Apr 29th, 2002, 04:17 AM
cindy

Little Palm Island without a doubt!

May 14th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Debra

Little Palm Island. Very romantic. Great service. Not cheap but worth it! Not a great beach for swimming but its the keys. Rooms were dark but sexy. I loved the outdoor shower. Not much to do but relax and let yourself be pampered. I felt like I was somewhere in the South Pacific! If you want some action you can go over to Key West. I'd suggest the Marquesa and eat at Louey's Backyard for a fantastic dinner on the water!

May 16th, 2002, 06:54 AM
jeff

For Mike
I was trying to help. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

May 16th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Can't Hide

Whatever, Ron!

May 16th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Susan

Cheeca Lodge is awesome. You must get an ocean front room though because the palm tree will literally touch your balcany, it is beautiful!

Very romantic and somewhat secluded.

Oh, and Little Palm Island is nice if you want to spend $800-$1000 a night for ONE NIGHT!! And that is NO lie!! For the price of two nights, you could fly to Cancun and stay in a luxury resort for 7 nights!

May 19th, 2002, 06:23 AM
fran

regarding a romantic non/commercial place in the keys, my husband and I returned about a week ago, spent 2 nites on our way down to Key West in a charming, low key, tropical mini-paradise called Kona Kai, this was in Key Largo, we loved it, would definitely return if we ever go back to the Keys, check out their website, it's even prettier when you get there.
Good Luck!

May 20th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Cindy

My husband and I just got back from Key Largo where we got married. We stayed at Bay Breeze and it was wonderful! Very quiet and beautiful scenery. The people there are so nice and the cottages are very romantic. Little tiki huts, you even have your own, nice kitchen and seperate canopied bed which your girlfriend will love.