Looking for relaxed Keys accommodation

Jul 12th, 2003, 11:36 PM
jml
Original Poster

Looking for relaxed Keys accommodation

Hi all,
husband & I have decided to spend a week in the Keys in late September. I've been doing searches here on the board and have gathered alot of good info.

I was thinking of making a reservation at Island Bay Resort & want to know if anyone has more suggestions for similar accommodation like Island Bay Resort a little closer to Key West (but we don't want to stay there - just make a day trip over).
Thanks
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:29 PM

I'M NOT SURE WHERE ISLAND BAY RESORT IS. WHAT KEY IS IT ON? IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THE KEYS, THEY ARE A LONG STRING OF ISLANDS CONNECTED BY 1, USUALLY 2 LANE ROAD. IN OTHER WORDS, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET ANYWHERE QUICKLY. BUT THATS PART OF WHAT MAKES IS GREAT AND LAID BACK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS BUT LITTLE PALM ISLAND IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. ON AN ISLAND ALL ITS OWN BUT WITHIN AN EASY DISTANCE TO KEY WEST. SEPTEMBER IS MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR HERE. UNLESS WE HAVE A HURRICANE, THE WEATHER IS PERFECT, THE WATER VERY WARM AND THERE AREN'T ALOT OF TOURISTS SO YOU CAN USUALLY GET GREAT PRICES ON ACCOMODATIONS AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS TO DO. IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW, PERHAPS I CAN HELP
Jul 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM
rasnes5

Hello jml! I'm the one who posted about Island Bay Resort(in Tavernier between
Key Largo and Islamorada) I hope you have seen their website! Their location is great and you can do a day trip to Key West-Mike and Carol Shipley, the owners of IBR, would advise you to do it during the week as weekends are crowded. I'd skip the sunset celebration in Key West unless you are party hearty folks-you can BYO at Island Bays' relaxing dock and the sunset is just as beautiful! Happy to help with any quesitons!
R5

Jul 15th, 2003, 10:08 PM
jml
Original Poster

thanks for writing ny & ras. How long does it take to get from Tavernier Key to Key West? We'll have a rental car, so I suppose it won't be a problem. I did visit Island Bay's website and saw there was really only one unit on the water - really wanted to get that one. The atmosphere at Island Bay described here on the board is exactly what we're looking for. We don't need luxury, just a comfortable place where we can kick back, rest and enjoy the sunsets. Crazy question - but are the mosquitoes unbearable down there? Also can you swim in Florida Bay? Are there many boats wizzing by?
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:05 AM

If you want something closer to Key West try Parmers Resort. It seems to get really nice reviews here and looks very relaxing.
Jul 16th, 2003, 10:01 PM

Didn't find mosquitos unbearable, but the no-see-ums around dusk-twilight time can be torture!

Parmer's Place is a good suggestion - we arranged for friends to stay there and they had good things to say about it. Definitely a peaceful, non-fussy but special atmosphere.

If Mangrove Mama's (bar & restaurant) is still there - Mile Marker 23 -- don't miss it.

Tavernier is about 90 miles from Key West. I love the drive down US1 toward Key West and recommend that you do it at a leisurely pace, stopping along the way wherever you feel like it, especially at Bahia Honda State Park.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM

We just returned from a trip to the Keys and stayed at a cute little inn in Marathon on Grassy Key called the White Sands Inn. The place was very well taken care of, only 11 rooms, on the ocean side, had a fishing pier. The only draw back is that there was a lot of grass that had grown up around the swimming area recently. They have complimentary paddle boats for you to take out to swimmable water or even to a beautiful sand bar just a couple of minutes away. We made it to KW from Marathon (midway point) in a little under an hour, the drive down made the time pass so fast because of the beautiful scenery. If you do decide on the keys, you HAVE to go to Herbie's in Marathon! Best seafood anywhere!!!